A Round-Up of 2022

2022 has been the year that the theatre industry finally felt like it was back to the good old pre-Covid days! 

We have seen some excellent productions, some of which still being postponements from the dark ages. 

2023 looks to be a difficult year for different reasons, but I will try and cover that more in the 2023 Bucket List. 

For now, let us reminisce on 2022 - otherwise known as the comeback year. 

From family favourites, to getting to see those you fell in love with during the lockdown live in person, and to finding some brand new favourites. Making some of the choices this year extremely hard to pick. 

And I decided to give my blog a sleek new makeover. One of the best things I have ever done!

Let's Get Started

***

Performance of the Year Award: Just one thing before we go into this. I will be splitting this category into Leading and Supporting actors rather than Male and Female. Because let's face it, is 2022 and gender is a social construct. 

Leading: 

Nominees: Wow, we're off to a good start aren't we. This is one of the hardest performance categories I have ever had to decide. I really had to think of who truly captivated me. 

Runner-Up: Jodie Comer as Tessa in the NT Live screening of Prima Facie. I may not be a Killing Eve fan, but from what little I've seen, I've agreed with everyone else that Comer is an incredible actress. Prima Facie set that in stone for me. New York audiences are in for a treat in 2023.  

Winner: I think, I have no choice in fact, when really thinking about it, to give this to Hiran Abeysekera's performance as Pi in Life of Pi at Wyndham's Theatre, London. He did win the Best Actor Olivier this year, so yes, on paper it may be obvious, but he captivated me from the get go, as the Narrator of this insane animal-filled adventure. Apart from the Tiger, he's the one everyone's talking about; and for good reason. 
Source: Young Vic (@youngvictheatre) • Instagram photos and videos

Supporting: 

Nominees:  

  • Ben Norris as The Poet in Choir of Man at the Arts Theatre 
  • Nandi Bhebe as The Moor in Wuthering Heights UK Tour
  • The 7 actors who played the Tiger in Life of Pi
  • Nadine Higgin as Paulette in Legally Blonde 
  • Lesley Joseph as Sister Mary Lazarus in Sister Act UK Tour (it's Manchester run) 
  • Carla Dixon-Hernandez as Lydia Hillard in Mrs Doubtfire at the Opera House, Manchester 
  • Vivian Parry in Cabaret 
  • Katie Ramshaw as Charlotte in Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella at the Hope Mill Theatre, Manchester
Runner-Up: There were a lot of amazing choices here, but apart from my winner, this one got a little more difficult. Until I went through them one more time and couldn't get Be Our Guest out of my head. That number in Beauty & the Beast is a true Disney spectacle, and half of it is down to Gavin Lee as Lumière, as charismatic as if he had jumped straight from the film. 

Winner: Marisha Wallace finally gave us the Ado Annie we deserve in the Young Vic's Oklahoma. As I said in my piece, I hate it when Ado Annie is played as a dumb bimbo, but Wallace made her smart as well as sexy. Her Annie knew exactly what she was doing and stole the show at the same time. More of this please!



Understudy of the Year Award:
 

Nominees: 

  • Rachel Dawson as the White Witch in The Lion, The Witch & the Wardrobe UK Tour
  • Matt Beveridge as The Romantic in Choir of Man
  • Alexander McMorran as Nick in Come From Away at the Phoenix Theatre, London
  • Vanessa Ela Young as Faye Treadwell in The Drifters Girl at the Garrick Theatre, London
  • Heather Jackson as Mrs Higgins in My Fair Lady 
  • Grace Melville as Anna of Cleves in SIX UK Tour 
  • Craig Ryder as Harold Zidler in Moulin Rouge

Runner-Up: Caleb Lagayan as Marius in Les Misérables UK Tour. I have seen Les Mis many a time, and Caleb gets this for simply being the best Marius I have ever seen live. 

Winner: Tom Mackley as Boy in The Ocean at the End of the Lane, at the Duke of Yorks Theatre, London. He was exactly as how I envisioned the Boy in the book, straight from Neil Gaiman's mind too, likely. You couldn't help but be transfixed on him. 

 


Almost-But-Not-Quite Award:
 

Runner-Up: This was interesting. I had an extremely good year, and so I thought I was going to have to give this to Mrs Doubtfire as the only candidate. One that's certainly not perfect, and that people have concerns about, but one that was... well... ok... 

Winner: I thought that until I saw Bat Out of Hell. I know it has been a bit of a marmite musical, and like marmite itself, it was certainly NOT for me. I don't think the main question you should be asking during a show should be "Why is everyone so horny?"



Leaky-Eyes Award: 

Nominees: 

Runner-Up: Many of these are what I call happy/sad shows - but I am going traditional sad for this one. This might be a surprise, but the ending of Moulin Rouge DID make me eyes a bit damp. And seeing as this is the Leaky Eyes bit... yeah, let's go with that. 

Winner: My Son's A Queer, But What Can You Do? is the epitome of a happy/sad show for me. OK, it didn't make me cry as such, but I think I was the only one who didn't, and I cannot deny that this one is the most emotional show I've seen in 2022. 



Source: Mischief (@mischiefcomedy) • Instagram photos and videos
Laughed-Till-I-Was-Sore Award: 

Nominees: 

Runner-Up: Mulan Rouge at the Vaults in London. This was a cabaret show pairing my favourite Disney film and the Paris nightclub together, that my friends got for my 30th birthday, with a meal included. I took my cousin, and it was fabulous! Thank you again to that group of people, you know who you are 

Winner: The Play That Goes Wrong's new UK tour, which I saw at the Opera House in May. I didn't review this one as I saw the same show before but getting to see the original Mischief cast - *chefs kiss* Yes it may be technically cheating after considering everything, but it was THE original company in their original piece. It was also the one that made me laugh the most. Hence it gets the win here



Danced-Till-They-Dropped Award: 

Nominees: 

  • Wuthering Heights 
  • Beauty & the Beast 
  • The Cher Show 
  • Legally Blonde 
  • Moulin Rouge 
  • Cabaret
  • Matilda the Musical
Runner-Up: Come From Away introduced us to the concept of "chair-ography". If you've seen it, you know what I mean - need I say more. 

Winner: There was so much amazing choreography this year, all different styles. But this is the one where the old school ones have a slight edge if given the right circumstances. After looking at my choices again, and again, I realised that I had to give this to the one that gifts us with Broadway Melody, a 15-minute 1920s themed dream ballet sequence. Chuck legendary dancer Adam Cooper for the ultimate cherry on top. This goes to Singin' in the Rain



Surprise-of-the-Year Award:
 

Nominees: 

Runner Up: The one I didn't get see talked about enough (and actually wasn't even planned originally to see it that particular day), was The Drifter's Girl in the West End. A small cast playing multiple roles, and an incredible story that a lot of people (me included) had no idea about - that of the first female of colour Manager for a band, Faye Treadwell. It is set to tour the UK later next year. 

Winner: While The Drifter's Girl may have been the most underrated show in the West End, the UK tour of Fisherman's Friend: The Musical I think is possibly the most underrated show in the UK. Knowing nothing, this took me truly by surprise: comforting, uplifting and British AS! I hope we get to see more good news for the Cornish fisherman in 2023 - because they deserve it. 



On-Screen Event of the Year: 

Nominees: Can I just say that in 2020, I had to split this into 3 because there were so many nominees. In 2021, I had to split it into 2. And now look - back to normal!

Winner: Easily Prima Facie. This was not just theatre; this was pure, transcendent, raw activism. A perfect example of using the power of theatre to bring light to an extremely serious issue. 



Costume of the Year: 

Nominees: 
  • Wuthering Heights 
  • Beauty & the Beast 
  • Sister Act 
  • Moulin Rouge 
  • Cabaret 
  • R&H's Cinderella

Runner-Up: 2022 has been an excellent year for puppetry, and so why not highlight 3 shows for this runner up spot that all showcase some excellent puppetry in different ways: The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe, mainly for the Aslan puppet: the vast array of animal puppets, especially THAT tiger in Life of Pi: and the whimsical charm of My Neighbour Totoro, bringing the creatures from the film to life. 

Winner: There's two I genuinely cannot pick between - so guess what? It's a tie! These are 2 very different shows, one being a flashy jukebox, the other being a classic. But I genuinely cannot choose between them. So hats of to Gabriella Slade for the flashy silver-studded costumes of The Cher Show and Catherine Zuber's gorgeous period pieces for My Fair Lady.



Blew My Mind Award:
 

Nominees: Again, so so SO difficult! So many options!! Any other year, any of these could have been show-ins. Why do I do this to myself....?

  • The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe 
  • Come From Away 
  • The Cher Show 
  • Oklahoma 
  • Legally Blonde 
  • Sister Act 
  • Prima Facie 
  • Fisherman's Friends 
  • Moulin Rouge 
  • Cabaret 
  • My Son's A Queer, But What Can You Do?

Runner-Up: Guess what, another 3-way tie because I'm a wuss who cannot decide. All 3 of them have one main thing in common - they're what I call "gateway shows", those that someone who's not a theatre regular can enjoy and be swept in the magic of it. For someone who likes stories about friendship, music and beer, there's Choir of Man. For horror fans, The Ocean at the End of the Lane an adaptation of the Neil Gaiman work that sparks imagination with its special effects. And finally for families and animation fans, there's My Neighbour Totoro, bringing the beloved film to life before your eyes. 

Winner: Life of Pi. As said before, not an easy decision to make, but in the end, it had to be Life of Pi. For the simple reason that I left the theatre knowing I had truly seen something epic, magical, even masterful in the way it told this story to life. It was the whole package for me, and I am so glad it is going on tour so that more people can see it (in my case, it will be essential viewing for my family next Christmas at the Lowry).

***

Whew! What a year! As I said before, it truly feels now like pre-Covid in terms of theatres being open. But now theatres have a new challenge in this cost of living crisis. I will explain more in my bucket list for 2023, but I hope you can agree that we need to keep on supporting the arts as much as we can. Especially as the work has become as good as it has in 2022. 

Comments