Review: The Ocean at the End of the Lane, at the Duke of York's Theatre, London

I ended my couple of days in London with one of the hottest tickets in town - and also one that may give you a nightmare or two... Joel Horwood's adaptation of Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane was first played to great success at the National Theatre Dorfman in 2019, receiving an Olivier Award for Best Lighting Design

Now it has transferred from the South Bank to the Duke of York's Theatre in the West End, right next to the Theatre Cafe (one of my favourite places in London - I went TWICE in two days last week...) 

Baaaack to Ocean! 

I had finished the book only a couple of months ago, and really wanted to see how it translated on stage. Especially as one of my friends in the theatre tribe told me that this production is BETTER than the book. And to be honest, I have to agree with her; it was FAR better than whatever came up in my head. 

If anyone is unfamiliar with Neil Gaiman's work, he has written some of the best fantasy/supernatural stories of recent times, including Stardust, Good Omens and Coraline - all of these have also been translated for either the big or small screen. 

The Ocean at the End of the Lane is an exploration of imagination and memory, with some supernatural/horror elements mixed in for good measure. A 40-something year old man travels back to where he spent a summer holiday as a child; to the farmhouse his best friend lived in; and to the duck pond - or as she named it, the ocean - at the end of the lane, which is not as it appears. He reunites with Old Mrs Hempstock, and he starts to reminisce. 

What follows is a story that is engaging, tense, and a little bit scary at times - classic Neil Gaiman. 

This is one for which I definitely don't want to give too much away, especially if you haven't read the book. But I will try my best. 

What this play does masterfully is bring Gaiman's world to life. Like I said, one of the themes of this play is imagination, and the creative team had it in abundance. From the creative moveable set pieces, to the design of the Hempsock's dining room and their costumes. They really added to the mystery in that you knew they were special but not sure just how. 

The effects on this are also incredibly effective, especially Samuel Wyer's puppet designs for the monsters. They are wonderfully creepy. 
And to add the finishing touch is Paule Constable's lighting. I am not surprised she won the Olivier; it was the cherry on top that brought everything together. 

Bringing Gaiman's world to life is one thing, but it wouldn't be full if his characters fell flat. Thankfully, that is not the case. 

We had on a couple of covers tonight who I want to celebrate - one of which being Miranda Heath as Ginnie Hempstock, Lettie's mother. 
The other was Tom Mackley, who is the Alternate Boy - I LOVED his performance. He gave off such a vulnerability and fear that I thought that THIS was the Boy from the book. 

You brought into his performance immediately and, after one particular moment (which I won't spoil but made me REALLY UNCOMFORTABLE despite knowing it was coming), knew this was someone who needed to be protected at all costs. 
I thought he would be amazing as Albus Potter in Cursed Child - and then I realise he's already played the part! 

This is a fantastic cast all-round, but I feel I need to mention one other person, and that is Laura Rodgers as Ursula. As the villain of the piece, she was sickly-sweet one minute, and then as soon as the Dad or Sister's back was turned, incredibly creepy. She had this chilling aura around her scenes with her and the Boy that made your skin crawl; and then when you could see her manipulating the Dad and Sister in ways that if you weren't the wiser would have been completely missed.... *shudder*

If you are a fan of fantasy, suspense and horror, then I cannot recommend The Ocean at the End of the Lane enough. 

Like The Choir of Man, I would also recommend this as a gateway play for a fan of this kind of genre but who isn't the usual theatre fan. 
However I will say if that I would not recommend taking young children or anyone who doesn't like this kind of thing (eg: this is one I know my Mum would NOT like). 

It is one that marries creativity in the set and illusions, the performances from the cast, the atmosphere created by the lighting and the score (which you can buy either in the Duke of York's foyer, the National Theatre shop, or on iTunes) to create a truly incredible show. 

If you think this is for you and are in London, then I highly recommend it; The Ocean at the End of the Lane is playing at The Duke of York's Theatre until 14th May this year; when The Glass Menagerie starring Amy Adams takes over Duke of York's. 

Oh and one more thing, THIS is one that I think would be perfect for NT Live - come on National, make it happen!

Comments