Review: Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat, UK Tour, at the Liverpool Empire

If ever you ask me what my first ever show was, the answer (that being the earliest I remember) was Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat; I was around 7 or 8 years old, and I remember asking my Dad "Why are they all singing and not talking like normal people?" Oh the irony. 

As if I need telling you what it's about (as it is a "first show" or favourite of many a theatre-goer), but in case: based on the story from the book of Genesis, Joseph is one of 12 sons, favourited by his father and given a special coat. Well his brothers are sick of being 2nd favourite and of Joseph's dreams, and sell him as an Egyptian slave. What next...?

Since that first time, I have only seen Joseph once more, that being the Bill Kenwright tour that seems to have gone since the time of Joseph himself: that was in 2014. And now, he's got a new coat - one that does not shy away from colour. 

In 2019, a brand new production of Joseph was staged at the prestigious London Palladium. It then returned in 2021, and now is going out on the road. 

Many people are likely used to the Kenwright version, but director Laurence Connor was determined to make it fresh and different. Some of them are interesting choices, especially choreographically. 

There was a tap number in Joseph's Dream that really didn't need to be there; and the cheerleading routine in Go Go Go Joseph, while understandable, felt like I had been just watching a number from High School Musical instead.

Having said that though, what I really do love is this version takes Joseph back to its roots: as a story.   

Usually the Narrator and the Children are just observing the events play out and joining in with the Aaaahhhh (you sung that in your head, I know you did). 

But this time, they truly join in with the action, doubling up other parts in the show that would have been taken up by other actors. Such as The Narrator now also plays Jacob, and a Scouse guard to hilarious effect (does she always switch accents in every venue, would love to know if that's the case). 
The children also double up, playing some of the brothers, including Benjamin; the Butler and Baker, and even Potiphar. 

What you get is the feeling of a group of kids playing make-believe in their bedroom, or a troupe of actors playing around like in Pippin. It's incredibly charming. 

But if there was one more attraction to this show, other than being a well-known piece by itself, is it's cast both for casual and hardcore theatregoers alike. 

The main 3 characters (Joseph, The Narrator and Pharaoh) were all reprise performances from the 2021 Palladium run. As Pharaoh, Jason Donavan is, let's face it, a bit of a glorified cameo; but he did do his job AND place the 40-something year old bums on seats... 

Joseph is a part you often see going to a pop star of some description: Gareth Gates, Stephen Gateley and even H from Steps to name a few. Heck, my last Joseph was X Factor's Lloyd Daniels. Which is why casting Jac Yarrow was such a breath of fresh air. As an unknown new graduate at the time of casting, Yarrow is a mixture of both Lee Mead and Rob Houchen in terms of vocals. Now he's played the part for goodness knows how many performances, he's got his take on Joseph down. His Close Every Door was probably the best I have ever heard. 

Now for The Narrator.. you get a choice depending on which venue you go to! In my neck of the woods, I could have seen it in Manchester with Alexandra Burke (Chess, Sister Act) take on the part. 

OR, I could go to Liverpool (about 45 mins extra driving) and see the one and only Linzi Hateley play her: who I had never seen live before, and if you didn't know was The Narrator 30 years ago when Jason Donovan played Joseph.... 

It was a no brainer. 

She was having the time of her life, especially in songs like Some Folks Dream when she was interacting with the (may I say VERY talented) kids. I am SO glad I chose to see her. For any other fellow Northerners who didn't get the chance to come to Liverpool, she's also doing the Blackpool run. 

Thinking about it. This production I think may have made Joseph even more of a marmite piece than it is: I know people who both love it and hate it. 
They go all out in colour (seems obvious I know,), with costumes you would expect to find in a Marrakech market, and the lighting reminding me of 90s pop art. 

If you're more of a serious theatre fan, then Joseph is not the piece for you: but let's face it, you probably know that so why are you reading this? 

But if you're a casual theatre-goer, looking for something for the family, or just something that's fun, then this is a solid choice. 

Joseph was originally written as a school piece when Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber were just 22 and 19 respectfully; I know it's still a favourite for schools, my primary school included (the year AFTER I left...). With this version, I truly think it is taking it back to it's roots; immersive, fun, and great for families. 

Oh and as a sidenote, may I say I forgot how amazing Liverpool audiences are! I need to come here more often!

Comments