Review: Fisherman's Friend, UK Tour, at the Lowry, Salford

What comes to mind when you think of Cornwall? Sun, the sea? Fish and chips, Cornish Pasties? The Eden Project? 

Or perhaps a bunch of singing Fisherman? That have had a Top 10 album, 2 films, and now a musical about them.

Fisherman's Friends: The Musical tells the story of a group of fishermen in Port Isaac, Cornwall; they go about their lives fishing all day and singing shanties in the pub all night. When record agency worker Danny is staying in Port Isaac for a wedding, a night locked out of his BnB allows him to listen in on their singing - from then on, his heart is captured by the community and its sound, and he vows to make the Fisherman's Friends a success. 

The creative team are the writers of the 2019 film telling the band's story, as well as the St Trinian's films (now the FIRST (don't bother with the 2nd) was one of my favourites as a teenager!). And the songs are mostly arrangements of traditional sea shanties that the real-life Fisherman's Friends have performed and arranged themselves. 

After playing Hall for Cornwall last year, it is now going on a major UK & Ireland tour (plus a pit stop in Toronto), all the way into May 2023. 

Now, I had heard whispers about this, but then though I had a bit too much going on to squeeze it in. Ultimately, it was my friend Mark (aka Beyond the Curtain) raving it about it on Twitter, AND a code for £20 tickets being sent my way, that made me think "Fine, ok, must be a sign". 

And still, I went in completely blind, with an open mind. Rushing to the Lowry after another busy day at work, just ready to have a good time. 

And have a good time I certainly did. 

The lights go down, and the theatre is filled with the sound of waves and seagulls. Then a couple of fishermen singing a ditty whilst hauling the nets. And that is all you need to get you perked to attention in your seat. 

In just a few minutes, you are fully attached to this cast of community and their way of life. I guess in a way, we as an audience are put in Danny's shoes. 

This is the first time in a long time that I have been so easily transported to the world a piece of theatre is trying to create. 

I would say this is due to a few things: first is the incredible characters and the bond that they have as a community (which I've already touched on). This is the heart and sole *hehe*.... sorry SOUL of the piece: Friends before Music being the band's philosophy comes across strong from its leader Jim. 

The second is the music. Mostly traditional shanties, some of which you may know, the music fills the huge Lyric theatre space with so much soul. A lot of it is acapella (NOT EASY), but then you have many onstage musicians too, from bodhran, accordions, violin, banjo and more. 

It's not all big masculine harmonies though - some of the most beautiful moments are solely with Parisa Shahmir (who plays the female lead Alywyn) and her guitar. Village by the Sea for example, is so beautiful, Shamir pulling us in just like a siren does to a sailor's doom. 

The third for me is... well, it's just so charming. Mark compared to as warming as a Cornish Pasty, and I would completely agree with that. I would also say that it is as fun as a traditional ceilidh or a knees-up down the pub. This is possibly one of the biggest feel-good shows you will see. 

It is steeped in Cornish identity, but also feels so universal too.
 

Anyone who has lived in a small town or village can identify with certain themes the show presents. The loss of the native language and the fight to keep it alive is something I passionately experienced whilst going to university in Bangor, North Wales. My Grandma's small seaside town in Devon has had problems with 2nd homeowners just like in Port Isaac. The sense of community is something I felt in my own village as a kid. 

If this interests you AT ALL, then I cannot recommend enough to give this show a chance. 

People have speculated whether this is going to be the next big British musical. It's possible. Only time will tell. 

All I will say for now is that the second it was over, I rang my parents and told them they needed to have a date night the day after to see Fisherman's Friends, and that I wanted them to have booked tickets by the time they got back. 
And I would have done that for anyone else.  

Comments