Review: Come From Away, at the Phoenix Theatre, London

I would like to apologise to all my readers, heck the entire theatre community that it has taken me this long to get here. That's what I would likely have said anyway if everything went to plan.. but the original date of booking for this was end of March 2020.... 

And we all know what happened there... 

Cutting a long story short, postponement lead to here, in a 2-parter of my birthday weekend (the 2nd will follow soon). 

At long last, I have been able to say "Welcome to the Rock", and watch Come From Away

This Tony and Olivier-award winning musical opened in New York in 2017, and London's Phoenix Theatre two years later. It follows the true story of Gander, Newfoundland in Canada, during the aftermath of the September 11th attacks. During that time, the American airspace became closed, and flights were diverted to Gander airport, being stranded for several days. 7000 extra people in the town in the blink of an eye; but the community of Gander opened up. 

And the heart of this show, is the community's generosity. 

From the show opens up with the beat of a bodhran, you know you're going to be in for a ride. In terms of music, cast, and chair-ography... 

Music first, as the cast recording was what I was most familiar with. It's a truly unique score, heavily inspired by instruments you would find in Newfoundland; the same you would likely find in an Irish pub. I've already mentioned the bodhran, but add in fiddle, tin whistle and more, and you have one of the most unique scores on the West End right now. 

The score is truly woven into the book, with only Me and the Sky being the only more traditionally based musical theatre number. And oh boy can they pack a punch. The one that gets me every time when I listen to the cast album is The Prayer - seeing it live didn't do anything to change that. 

Trying to convey that emotion while playing several characters is hard; this cast does it masterfully. 

This cast of 12 play several characters each, all of whom with their own distinct personalities, characteristics and accents. Honestly, you would go from hearing a Texan accent to a Newfoundland one (which sounds similar to Irish), and then an Southern-English, to a Central African one, as different characters, be natives or plane people come in an out of the story. 

I must say before I go on further, was that it was the last matinee for Mary Doherty, who plays Bonnie, before leaving the show on maternity leave. Bonnie is a character you don't hear much on the album, but really shines in the show as someone determined to look after the animals on the plane. She is, as Mary Doherty said herself on Twitter, a badass. 

But she's not the only standout - in fact the whole cast is just... well... wow. From Jenna Boyd's humour as Beulah, to Harry's Morrison's delivery of the line "I'll write STFD. Slow the **** down", to Alice Fearn (Wicked) blowing the roof off with Me and the Sky

I also have to mention Ricardo Castro on for Bob, and especially Alexander McMorran, who was on for Nick. His awkward chemistry with Kate Graham's Diane was so sweet! 

If this show is known for anything else however, it is how it is directed and choreographed. There may be no dance numbers, but the movement is something that you cannot get your head around... 

Let me introduce you to chair-ography. 

The set is a couple of tables and a lot of chairs. And a lot of the movement involves moving the chairs around to create not just what you would expect, but also a plane, a mountain, and more. 

How does it work? The stage is covered in tape dots, and these dots act as position markers where to place the chairs. 

It's pretty captivating to watch. 

In among all the musical adaptations of films, books, and the jukebox musicals, Come From Away is a show that is truly original; and one that I think is truly for everyone. 

In especially a time that is showcasing both the best and worst in humanity in different measures, it is a piece that I think we are so luck to have. 

It could have come across as soppy, sentimental and artificial; but it doesn't at all. It has a powerful idea of community, and finding peace and light in dark times. All of that amounts to Come From Away having the biggest heart out of any show in the West End. 

If you haven't seen Come From Away yet, I cannot recommend it enough. I would even recommend it to those who aren't big musical theatre fans. It is currently playing at the Phoenix Theatre in the West End - and I hope it is there for quite a long time. 

Now pass me the branded shot glass.. I need a glass of Dead Man's Finger (makeshift Screech), to brace myself for leaving my 20s behind....

Comments