From Here To Eternity: The Shows Must Go On Review

Credit:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_Here_to_Eternity_the_Musical#West_End_(2013)
We've been treated to The Shows Must Go On twice this week! First was The Wind in the Willows as it was half term for a lot of children up and down the country. 

But to mark Remembrance Day, they aired From Here to Eternity, a not-well-known British musical set in Hawaii during 1941 leading up to the attack on Pear Harbour. Slightly less children-friendly I add...

Based on the book, and later film of the same name, it follows Private Robert Prewitt joining the G Company in the US Army in Hawaii: for some reason refuses to fight, box or bugle - but why? 

This is one show that I had heard of but didn't know a lot about and didn't get a chance to see. In fact the most I heard was the odd play on EPOS (that’s Elaine Paige on Sunday) or Michael Ball's cover of Fight The Fight

The musical version of From Here to Eternity is written by Stuart Brayson, Tim Rice (in his first original musical since Aida in 2001), and Bill Oakes, and had a fairly short run in the West End, running at the Shaftesbury Theatre for 7 and a half months. 

I didn't know what to expect with this one to be honest. The outcome? Not perfect, but good for a Sunday pyjama day. But because it sits somewhere in the middle with me, it has left me with severe writer’s block. 

HOWEVER, what gave me the inspiration was a) my friend Becky, and b) the latest video from one of my favourite YouTubers, Animat (definitely check him in out if you're an animation nerd like me), in which he talks about Treasure Planet. His conclusion was while there was some adventure and heart, the story didn't put in the character development to back it up. And I realised that From Here to Eternity has the very same problem. 

With that, the cast were a bit hit and miss for me; but I will say that I liked Darius Campbell (Funny Girl) as Warden, mainly because he had the best lines. Take this one he shared with Rebecca Thornhill's Karen:

"This was easier three minutes ago when you were just a whore"
"This was easier three minutes ago when you were just a s**t!"

Credit: https://www.londontheatre.co.uk/theatre-news/news/from-here-to-eternity-livestream-taking-place-this-weekend
Like I said, the characters were hit and miss for me, taking Prewitt for example, he's a bit of an enigma. And, when you find out why he refuses to let the army life change his persona, it's a big face palm moment. In fact when Warden finds out, THAT'S the reaction we have too. It’s just a shame that for most of the performances, they were nearly there but not far enough to many us really root for them. 

In fact, like Prewitt, the musical as a whole a bit of a mixed bag and doesn't push the envelope enough. The music's pretty decent, blending a variety of styles from 40s swing, blues and other genres typical of the time, but I think for me, there could have been more drama. You don't necessarily get that they are in emotional peril, certainly not until the Pearl Harbour attack. 

BUT, not to end this on a sour note, I do have to say that the lighting on this show is gorgeous. From the Hawaiian beaches to the nightclub to the army camp, the feel fresh and warm like the perfect Instagram filter.  

If this airs again, and you would like to try it, I would say go for it and form your own opinion.

But is it something I would see again? Unless they give it a name I like (like if Bradley Jaden played Warden for example...!), it is probably not one I would rush to see in person. 

Comments