Don't Rain On My Parade!



A brand new tour has kicked off this week in Manchester, direct from a very successful run at London's Menier Chocolate Factory, and then the Savoy Theatre last year - the revival of Jule Styne and Bob Merrill's Funny Girl. The story centres around Ziegfeld Follies star Fanny Brice (1891-1951), and her relationship with the suave Nick Arnstein. It is the show that kick-started Barbara Streisand's career; she made her Broadway debut in the 1964 original, reprising her role in 1966 in London and then the 1968 film version, becoming one of her most famous roles! This revival is the first major revival (on either side of the pond) since then.

I have never seen the film version, and since I knew it was coming here/booked tickets, I avoided it like the plague, because I didn't know much about the show and I wanted to keep it that way - I try and do that as much as possible with shows that are new (ish I guess..) to me - and mainly so I wouldn't have the opportunity to compare Sheridan Smith, back in the role of Fanny from the London run, to Ms Streisand!

Before going into it, I want to get into the weakest link, which is that the story isn't as strong as it could have been. Despite a revised book from Harvey Fierstein no less, I felt there could have been a link back to the very first scene, and it also felt there was a gap in the story. I'm not sure where, and it could have just been me - but I am throwing it out there. Producers have been wary in the past of reviving Funny Girl - is this why?

Despite that, Fanny Brice declares she is the greatest star, so let's go into Smith's performance as the titular Funny Girl.... I am not sure what to say. I was honestly struggling what to put into my notes as there has been so much said about how respected she is as an actress, and on her interpretation of Fanny - and then I remembered something my mum (who I saw it with) said during the interval. Provided, the theatre had unfortunately had run out of programmes, we didn't know, in a lot of cases, who was playing A, B and C: despite that however, Mum hadn't realised it was Smith on stage! And I think that's what it comes down concerning Smith's performance - you don't see her playing a character, you see a naïve, charming, warm and of course funny woman. In short, you saw Fanny!
Accompanying her was Chris Peluso (who I have also seen as Chris in Miss Saigon), who I loved as Nick Arnstein, almost as much as Smith as Brice. With that smooth as chocolate tone, charisma and golden heart (I don't want to spoil it, but you can tell that there's a deep love for Fanny down in there), it is no wonder Smith's Fanny went weak at the knees (not to mention, Peluso is absolutely gorgeous!).

I should mention now that Smith and Peluso are not performing at all venues - in certain venues, Brice and Arnstein will be played by Natasha J Barnes (Smith's understudy in London, and who took over the part of much acclaim during Smith's absence) and Darius Campbell (also direct from London) respectfully. Check the website to find out who will be performing in your area; from what I've heard, (fingers crossed) you'll be in safe hands whichever pair you get.

As far as the tunes go, there should be a few that you recognise, and if not, you'll be humming them once the curtain goes down: including the heart-breaking People and Who Are You Now?, the big I'm The Greatest Star, the cheeky You Are Woman, I Am Man and of course, the unforgettable Don't Rain On My Parade, in Smith's hands becoming more gritty than the standard showbiz pizazz.

If you are in the Manchester area, there is another opportunity to catch this, as this week's leg is sold out; the Palace Theatre will once again be hosting, with Smith and Peluso, in August and will be the last stop in the tour. Therefore, I hope to have caught you early on, as this is one to see a triumphant central performance!

Comments