RENT Review from the Hope Mill Theatre, Manchester

Credit: https://www.instagram.com/hopemilltheatre/
This production is one I have been waiting to see for a long time. 

But NOT how it was originally planned. 

This was SUPPOSED to be the first time I was back in a theatre for 7 months. AND it was SUPPOSED to be when I met many of my theatre-mates for the first time in person..... This was SUPPOSED to have been seen, cried about, reviewed and up on the blog at the beginning of the month.... Only a few days after we went into Lockdown 2.0..... 

*deep breath* Excuse my language...

FUCK YOU MS RONA. FUCK. YOU.

Right, with that out of the way...

One of the most anticipated revivals of the year is one of my favourite musicals in one of my favourite spaces: RENT at Manchester's very own Hope Mill Theatre. The minute I heard about this project, I knew it was going to be incredible.... Just how incredible though, we had no idea. 

I'm going to get this out of the way now.... get tickets. Just do it. 

This is a RENT unlike any other. Not only that it was created, opened and closed in a pandemic, but it's also one that would only work in that space. With just a few posters and "The East Village is Dead" painted onto the floor, set and costume designer David Woodhead has turned Manchester into Lower East Side Manhattan; but as director Luke Shepherd said, it's the venue itself that tells a story (which is why I love it so much). 

Credit: https://www.instagram.com/hopemilltheatre/
While we are on the creative side of things, Tom Jackson-Greaves' chorography feels so fresh and current, involving the whole company 9 times out of 10, who if not on stage themselves were always off around the side. In a way it reminded me of Andy Blankenbuehler's work on Hamilton, how everyone had something to do around the balcony on that set. 

Finally on the creative side I need to make a note about music. Not the score specifically, we all know how masterful Jonathan Larson's work on that is. But what this production highlighted for me was just how much variety of styles there are in there, which I hadn't really noted before properly. It was a point musical supervisor Katy Richardson made during the pre-show Zoom Q+A with the cast...

*side-note* yes as part of the Gala night, my friends and I got an invitation to that..... And it was amazing.... 

Where was I? ... Oh yes! It was a point Richardson made, that people may call RENT a rock opera, but it has a lot more variety of music than just that, just like the 90s. Today For You is the best example I can think of, which became more of a drum and bass number! A nice nod to Manchester's club scene perhaps...?

Credit: https://www.instagram.com/hopemilltheatre/

Let's move away from the creative team now and onto the 12 actors in this incredible cast. 

All of which brought their A-game to this piece. Some of which fared better than others I admit, but at the very least they all did each try something different with these well-loved characters.

Starting off as she is right next to me (in the picture, not literally) is Jocasta Almgill (West Side Story) as Joanne. A lot of people play Joanne as the serious one, sometimes with a stick up her ass. But Jocasta didn't do that. Sure she was definitely the grounded one compared to Millie O'Connell's goofy Maureen, but she was sassy, sexy and did NOT mince her words. I was very excited when I heard she had been cast and she did not disappoint. 

Credit: 𝒟𝑜𝓂 𝐻𝒶𝓇𝓉𝓁𝑒𝓎-𝐻𝒶𝓇𝓇𝒾𝓈 (@domhartleyharris) • Instagram photos and videos
From the sassy to the heart, Dom Hartley-Harris was perfectly cast as Collins. Just as I was excited about Jocasta, a LOT of my friends were equally as excited at Dom being cast. The second I heard his voice, I thought "oooh hello...!!". It was a deep Barry White boom that you can tell from the first note had so much soul and sensitivity in it too. 

Whenever I watch RENT, the one song that gets me EVERY SINGLE TIME is I'll Cover You (Reprise). Dom's version was no exception. Wow. 

*side note: I would love to see him do a 180 and play Audrey II in Little Shop of Horrors - he'd be amazing!*

Ooops, sorry back to RENT

Finally in the main cast (bear that in mind), is Tom Francis as Rodger and Maiya Quansah-Breed as Mimi. I must be honest and say I don't think I have seen a better Rodger and Mimi since Will Chase and Renée Elise Goldsberry in the 2008 version - the one that truly made me fall in love with RENT in the first place. 

Starting off with Mimi (ladies first), she was playful and could see she loved life. But she had this lovely vulnerable side to her too that you don't see as often with Mimi as you perhaps should. She built an incredible chemistry with Rodger too; right from Light My Candle, you knew this pair was going to work. 

Credit: Pamela Raith (@peachyraith) • Instagram photos and videos
And as for Rodger: bruised, hurt, torn, desperately wanting to move on with his life but thinks he doesn't deserve to... You could see it all as the camera focused on his face during the end of Will I. I could not believe this was Francis' professional debut. Definitely one to watch.

Last but certainly not least is the four who made up the Ensemble: Kayla Carter, Allie Daniel, Isaac Hesketh and Bethany Terry (who you see on that EPIC poster!). 

The way they switched between different characters effortlessly within two seconds last was insane. And I feel I need to bring up Carter specfically for the Seasons of Love solo.... Holy shit-balls! 

Rounding this off, what this RENT has heightened for me is the sense of community. It's one of the main themes in RENT anyway, but you can tell how well this cast have bonded. To keep in line with Covid restrictions, they formed one household bubble of 12 during the show's run - they way they have formed a community like that has made a huge difference. 

This for me is one of the must-sees of the year, and with all the versions of RENT I have seen, is up there with the 2005 film and 2008 Final Broadway performance. 

Credit: https://www.instagram.com/hopemilltheatre/
I think I have said everything about the production I need to say but as a whole, it's something truly special for now, and what I think everyone needs going into Tier 3 restrictions... Well if you live in one of those areas like me at least...

I will admit there is one advantage to watching it online. Because at the end of it, I was able to go and give my Dad a hug. If I were watching it live I couldn't hug my friends - elbow bumps would have had to suffice and we all know that is NOT the same.....

Oh, one/two more things before I go: one is that I would like to thank the Hope Mill after the closure announcement came. They have been fantastic in arranging a stream transfer for me and my friends at no extra cost (unless you made an extra donation), as well as the Q+A access and a party pack with a programme and some goodies inside. Mine has got lost in the post, but they quickly issued me with a PDF version instead! So please support this incredible theatre as much as you can. 

Secondly, this is my 200th post on Theatre Scribbles!!!!! 🍻🎉 Couldn't have chosen a better one myself (may or may not have postponed a couple of Netflix things so this COULD be No. 2-0-0.....) 😅

To buy your ticket for RENT, click here to the Hope Mill Theatre's website, where you can also buy merch! Forget Regret and get them while you can because this production means it when it says No Day But Today 

Comments