The Last Five Years Review, from the Southwark Playhouse

Credit: Southwark Playhouse (@swkplay) • Instagram photos and videos
For the second time in about 5 months, I will be talking about Jason Robert-Brown's The Last Five Years - not something I thought I was going to say. 

Now that I think about it, this may be the first time I have reviewed two different versions of the same show in the same year....!

Unlike the Lambert Jackson version earlier this year (which was filmed over Zoom, and set the standard for the LJ-filmed musicals), this was a filmed live performance, the Southwark Playhouse's very highly received production to be precise.... The one which people have called it THE definitive production.... Let battle commence!

Playing at the Southwark twice during the past year (both times I think it got halted midway through thanks to Ms Rona), this version was directed by Jonathan O'Boyle and stars Molly Lynch (Wasted) as Cathy, and Oli Higginson as Jamie. 

Lynch brought a lot of vunerabiliy to Cathy and a kookiness to her I didn't see the first time. Whereas Higginson was the definition of arrogant suave. He shone for me, and despite how big he made Jamie's ego, Higginson made me want to understand him more at least. 

Despite this relationship having plenty of troubles to write a musical about.... 

What I understand more than I did the first time I saw The Last Five Years is just how hard it is to sing. I thought I knew back then but BOY do I know now! Since my singing lessons started again, I have done a little bit of Last Five Years material (may be only Cathy's but still) and let me tell you it is HARD! 

So you HAVE to give kudos to both Lynch and Higginson for making sounding so effortless!

Credit: Southwark Playhouse (@swkplay) • Instagram photos and videos

What this production also really highlighted for me was that during the whole relationship, neither Jamie or Cathy were on the same page, which is crucial to make any serious partnership work. 

Despite both being on stage the whole time, neither one of them looked at the other very much; apart from in The Next Ten Minutes - and do be more precise, just a few lines of that song! 

The main feature on the stage is a grand piano on a revolve. During most of the numbers, while one sang, the other would often play along (only a few bits though, do you know how hard JRB's piano accompanying is?!) and even then (!) they barely interact with each-other...

Moving on, I need to talk about someone who really shone. Literally. Jamie Platt's lighting was absolutely gorgeous. 

Depending on the character and what point at the relationship they were up to, the stage was lit up in either warm yellows or sad blues - sometimes switching between the two effortlessly or even a spotlight of each when they were both on stage! 

But another use which I loved was in Moving Too Fast, the one out of two songs everyone's going to know. During "slow, slow the light's turning red", the whole stage lit bright red, with Cathy having this halo effect around her. Loved it!

I don't often talk about lighting so when I do, consider it a very high honour... 😉

Credit: Southwark Playhouse (@swkplay) • Instagram photos and videos
Was it better than the LJ Prods one? Not sure as it is hard to put the two side by side. But I can understand why people were raving about this particular production. And maybe it's seeing it in a staged format, or maybe that it's the second time I am seeing this, but I found a lot more nuances in the text and these characters than I did the first time. 

November may be busy (see for yourself, we have at least a 3-in-a-row coming up), but I highly recommend that you see this if you can. Especially if like me you were not able to see it in London in person. For either of its two runs.... 

You can get your tickets here: stream.theatre The Last Five Years will be streaming until Sunday. If you haven't planned your weekend yet, here's your warning - get planning. There is A LOT coming!

Comments