A Monster Calls Review: recorded live at the Old Vic Theatre, London

Credit: https://www.instagram.com/oldvictheatre/
This has been a stagey few days for me to say the least: my "The Show Must Go On!" t-shirt arrived in the post: the Amelie cast recording was released last Friday: and even more screenings were announced and released: the most exciting of which for me (even with NT Live at Home's showing this week being the Tom Hiddleston-led Coriolanus), was definitely A Monster Calls, recorded live in 2018 from its run at London's Old Vic theatre. 

I had wanted to see it during its run at the Lowry back in February (or was it March?) but it clashed with other things going on at the time so I couldn't make it - and oh I wish I was able to see it in person now having watched it. 

Based on the book by Patrick Ness, A Monster Calls follows the story of 13 year old Connor O'Malley; lonely, bullied at school and who has a mother suffering from terminal cancer. Soon, he is having mysterious nightmares, and he starts hearing a voice coming from the yew tree in his garden, calling his name....!

That's all I want to say about the story, as I do not want to spoil any further. 

I will say though that director Sally Cookson has done an incredible job bringing together a wonderful cast and crew, to not only make this show wonderfully human and emotional, but also award-worthy. It was nominated for 3 Oliviers last year: Best Sound for Mike Beer, Outstanding Achievement in Music for Benji Bower's score, and a win for Best Entertainment and Family!

Credit: https://www.instagram.com/mn.talent/

I may as well mention the other creatives who I really had to take note of: Michael Vale's set may have been sparse, consisting only of chairs and rope, but the way that they were used was incredibly creative, especially with the moments with the Monster in the yew tree. 

This is also when movement director Dan Canham comes in, as the cast climb and twist around the tree as if they were trapeze artists, giving a mysterious and supernatural sense to the tree. 

Onto cast, and the standout is definitely Matthew Tennyson as Connor. He is a talent I want to keep my eye on for the future - I'm not sure I can put his performance into words. Go see it to know what I mean. 
I also really enjoyed Stuart Goodwin as the Monster, who gave off a warm but grand and sometimes terrifying presence. 

Credit: https://www.instagram.com/oldvictheatre/
I cannot recommend this play enough. It's emotional, powerful and, despite the monster living in a yew tree aspect, is very human. 

It's also a good one to watch if you have older children; I have a drama teacher friend, who gave this to her Year 10s for their homework.

But be warned: this play should come with an entire box of tissues along with the programme and snacks. 

Those who know me personally and who have been reading my work for a while now know that I do not normally cry at films, TV shows, plays etc. But this time was different. 

I was a mess! 

It is possibly the saddest thing I have ever seen - but I can certainly say A Monster Calls is the saddest show I have seen since Miss Saigon.  

To watch A Monster Calls, click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRIZB6tErfE&feature=youtu.be It's available until 7pm on Thursday 11th June, so you don't have too long. 

Comments