#BlackLivesMatter in the Theatre

Credit: https://www.instagram.com/thestageycouple/
During these past few weeks, I have been doing my best reading, researching and learning. As a white person, I admit I often find conversations on race uncomfortable; but it's us who have to join forces with the POC community and stand up for the injustice at what has been happening. 

In that, I have been reading lots of stories black artists have been experiencing in society in general and in many industries, including sadly, the theatre industry. 

Revelations have come to light about the Nederlander group in New York: the #WeSeeYou campagin signed by seveal POC Broadway actors and creatives has made waves on social media: and most eye opening to me, a video has been released of Rachel John and Alexia Khadime (two of the West End's best black actresses), talking about their experiences - that one was extremely eye opening, so I urge you to check it out. 

So in solidarity, and inspired by Amy Lovatt's video released about a week ago, I'd like to showcase a few shows, whether they be a play or a musical that either discusses something about the African/American experience, or features a predominantly black cast (or both). Of course there are far more than the number I'm going to feature, but here's a few to get you started: 

  1. Credit: https://www.instagram.com/nationaltheatre/
    Small Island
    - As I am writing this, it is Windrush Day, and the National Theatre's production is still available on their YouTube. If you haven't seen it yet, you have until Thursday night to give this incredible story of Jamaican post-war emigrants a chance. If you're reading this after it's left the internet, the National are hoping to revive this incredible play in 2021 - and go read the book!

  2. Hairspray -  Hear me out on this one. The heart of the show comes in the song I Know Where I've Been, sung by Motormouth Maybelle, and it is just as relevant as ever: it's ok to be angry, so stand up and call out the bull****! Whichever version is fine, the original cast recording or Hairspray Live, but my favourite version is the 2007 film because of the ending (if you know both the stage show and the film, you'll understand why). 

    "There's a Dream in the Future, 
    There's a Struggle we have yet to win,
    Use that Pride in our Hearts, 
    To lift us up till Tomorrow
    'Cause just to sit still, would be a Sin!"

    ~ I Know Where I've Been, Hairspray


  3. Credit: https://www.instagram.com/west_end_frame/
    The Wiz
    - A re-telling of The Wizard of Oz told with an all-black cast and featuring a mash-up of gospel, Motown and RnB: a lot of shows featuring black stories and actors likely wouldn't have happened without this one. It is even said to inspire stars such as Beyoncé! The Wiz Live was one of The Shows Must Go On features, and though it's no longer available, I think you can buy or rent it on iTunes for a couple of quid. 

  4. Dreamgirls - Another classic show with an almost all-black cast, this is an incredible show about three girls trying to make it big in the music industry - and during the show, you discover that their Manager will do whatever it takes to make the group "cross-genres" - aka make them more appealing to the white demographic. 

  5. Memphis - I sadly missed this when it was in London. Set in 1950s Memphis, white DJ Huey falls in love with Felicia, a black club singer trying to make it big in music. There is a filmed performance of the original Broadway cast somewhere, but I would recommend listening to the UK cast album featuring Killian Donnely (Les Mis), and the sensational Beverley Knight. 

    Mama told me not to dream big
    But Mama lived her life running scared
    I am stronger and I'll fight longer
    I'll do what Mama never even dared!
    ~ Coloured Woman, Memphis

  6. The Colour Purple - Another one I haven't yet seen (but I have read the book), the music of The Colour Purple is soulful personified. I have the revival cast album starring the incredible Cynthia Erivo (who won a Tony for playing Celie). 

    But most of all, I'm thankful for
    Loving who I really am
    I'm Beautiful, yes I'm Beautiful
    And I'm Here
    ~ I'm Here, The Colour Purple

  7. Lady Day at Emerson's Bar and Grill
    - I saw this play a few years ago, and it has stuck with me ever since. Starring the divine Audra McDonald, it is based on a gig late in Billie Holliday's life, featuring some of her most famous songs such as God Bless The Child and Strange Fruit. HBO commissioned a filmed performance, but if you cannot manage to find it, don't worry too much, as the cast recording is the play in full. 

  8. Once On This Island - This musical created by the same writers as Anastasia, is loosely based on The Little Mermaid fairy-tale, but set in the island of Haiti. It's not only a joy to listen to, but also comments on tensions between the fairer skinned, rich French colonialists and the darker skinned poorer natives. I would highly recommend the 2018 Tonys performance - fingers crossed that production finds a London home to play at some day! 

  9. Porgy and Bess - This classic Gershwin opera featuring the unforgettable Summertime is one of the earliest examples of all-black American theatre, and is often performed by opera companies to this day! It's a lot darker than you would expect it to be: discussing drugs, sexual violence, disability and more. There's a brilliant recording from the Broadway production with Norm Lewis and Audra McDonald (again) as the title characters. 

  10. Ragtime - It's turn of the century America, the time of Harry Houdini. In Ragtime, you follow three different groups of people:  the white upper-class Americans, Eastern-European Jewish immigrants, and the black community in Harlem. The original Broadway cast album is fantastic, featuring Audra McDonald (AGAIN!), Brian Stokes Mitchell, and the late Marin Mazzie in perhaps her best known role. 

    Go out and tell Our Story
    Let it echo far and wide
    Make them hear you
    Make The Hear You
    ~ Make Them Hear You, Ragtime

  11. Hamilton
    - Yes I know it's POC telling white history but as Lin Manuel Miranda says, "It is America then TOLD BY AMERICA NOW". Alexander Hamilton himself was an immigrant, they say that in the first song - neither America nor the UK would be the countries we are today if we didn't have this cultural melting pot. The much-anticipated filmed performance of the show featuring the original Broadway cast will be airing in July on Disney +; if you haven't got it yet, now is the time to do so.  

Like I said, there are more shows for you to check out but I may be here all day: however, to discover more, I recommend checking out Playbill's newest playlist on Spotify, showcasing some of the best black artists in theatre - and some shows that I never even knew about. 

Credit: https://www.instagram.com/thestageycouple/
I'm not good at conclusions at the best of times, but this is particularly difficult for me - so please bear with me. 

I hope though that this has given you some inspiration to how representation is shown in theatre - but we still have a way to go, especially behind the scenes. For example, when the Once On This Island producers came on stage to accept their Best Musical Revival Tony, they looked very different to the cast performing on stage... 

We all have a duty to research and demand change - understanding stories like this is just a small step. Follow black artists on social media, sign petitions, go and protest (as long as it is safe to do so considering the outbreak): because it is up to us now. 

Comments