Times Are Hard For Dreamers

Last Friday, I went along with my parents to see the musical adaptation of Amélie at Manchester's Opera House, in what has been a stagey week for them. Earlier in the week, they caught Magic Goes Wrong at the Lowry (I couldn't go due to work) at let's just say it was NOT their cup of tea. In fact they walked out during the interval - which NEVER happens - so in their eyes, anything can only go up. Thankfully, they enjoyed this one far more..!

Amélie is based off the 2001 French film starring Audrey Tatou - it was one I had to watch quite often during college and uni (as I was studying French at the time), though I haven't seen it for some years, perhaps not since I graduated.

From what I remember, I don't think I appreciated its charm back then, with its slightly more surreal imagery and odd but charming nature.
As I hadn't seen the film for a while, there were quite a few bits I had forgotten about - I'd even forgotten the gnome!! (Btw: get some of the postcards in the foyer shop - they're super cute!!)

Anyway, I digress....

Amélie was adapted for the stage originally in 2015 for Berkeley Rep Theatre in San Francisco , and starred Samantha Barks as the title character. It later moved to Broadway in 2017 with Hamilton's original Eliza Philippa Soo taking over the title role - it sadly only ran for approx. 10 weeks before closing.
It has music and lyrics by Daniel Messé and Nathan Tyson, with a book by Craig Lucas (who also did the book for The Light In The Piazza).

Our title character is a young woman living in 90s Paris. She lives quietly but dreams big, and makes it her mission to help others find happiness from the shadows.
When she meets the handsome and just-as-curious Nino, she realises that she will have to put everything else aside for her own happiness.

This production hailed from the Watermill Theatre, which have been bringing out many an actor-musician musical recently (their recent outing of Kiss Me Kate being an example), and Amélie.
In fact, this being an actor-musician version made perfect sense, as it fitted her world down to a T.
I am now not sure I can listen to the cast recording now, as the music (dreamy as it is), has been made even better by adding the character of Paris into the score. I particularly liked the use of fast staccato notes to emphasise a quickening heartbeat whenever Amélie and Nino bumped into each other.

Moving on from the music, and onto the company - I already mentioned many of them were actor-musicians, and very talented ones at that. I particularly want to focus on the main 2 players though.

As Amélie herself, we had Audrey Brisson, who looked SO MUCH LIKE AUDREY TATOU, IT WAS OFTEN INSANE! Her voice took a little bit of getting used to, but she was living and breathing the character. She was like a breath of fresh air.
Her partner "in curiosity" Nino, was none other than Danny Mac (Sunset Boulevard and Legally Blonde) - an interesting choice, but Mac has never failed to surprise me. The total opposite of someone like Joe Gillis or Warner Huntington III, Mac's Nino was such a cinnamon roll! I just wanted him to give him a hug "It's going to be ok, sweetie!". You can tell that there was an underlying chemistry, although it didn't really start growing until the 2nd act...

Amélie The Musical has to be one of the surprises of the year so far. I had no idea what to expect, but recommendations from a few fellow bloggers I follow persuaded me to get a ticket.
Plus, August is usually a crap month for theatre - but in Manchester, as well as Amélie this week, Book of Mormon is STILL running at the Palace Theatre (it has 2 weeks left so get in quick!)!

Travelling gnome postcards!!
The run here may have said au revior, but it is continuing across the country from Bournemouth to Glasgow, and will finish in Liverpool in October - hopefully one of the venues left over is one near you.

For anyone living in the London direction, it will also have a stint Christmas at The Other Palace.

It may not be loud and toe-tapping or make any bold proclamations, but it is the perfect remedy to the British Summer rain we seem to be having at the moment; like being wrapped up in my pjs and blanket with a cuppa tea - or perhaps a cognac....

Comments