Review: High School Musical, at Lowry, Salford

If you would ask me what show changed my life, I can offer a few for you: the works of the Disney Renaissance, many of which were celebrated in the Alan Menken Prom the other night (which I highly recommend watching/listening to). Maybe Les Mis, or Avenue Q or Wicked, all of which I have loved since I was a teenager. Little Shop of Horrors or RENT when I was a student? 

But, I wouldn't have have been led to those, if it wasn't for Hairspray. Specifically the 2007 film. And what led me to it was my teenage crush on Zac Efron, which started thanks to High School Musical

20 years later, High School Musical has come to the Lowry stage 

This production is in collaboration with the Hope Mill Theatre, on a scale much bigger than the concerts they have hosted on this stage before such as Nine. As well as a Summer season at Lowry, it is heading to the Troubadour Theatre in Wembley. It has been 18 years sine High School Musical has been seen on stage in the UK. And I don't think that, until this production was announced, people had realised how much this Disney Channel Original story had been missed. 

Despite being set on a huge stage, directors Joseph Houston and William Whelton have created a version which truly feels immersive and involves the whole audience

You can see this as soon as you enter the auditorium. On either side of the stage are a set of bleachers you would find in the typical American high school - which seat some of the audience. And so those lucky ones get to truly have a front seat for all the action. 

But for those out in the audience, you don't feel left out. Before the show, we're treated to a chance to know some of Aaron Renfree's choreography, courtesy of the Wildcats cheerleaders. You go into the show truly ready for it, as geared up as one of the Wildcat's big championship games. 

High School Musical is steeped in noughties nostalgia - but has also felt timeless

For those who have no idea what High School Musical, it feels like many a high school comedy you know, but add in a Disney twist, a large dose of camp and a large sprinkling of cheese. 

At East High, jocks do not mix with "brainiacs", or drama club enthusiasts, or any other clique for that matter. But that all changes when top basketball star Troy Bolton meets nerdy Gabriella Montez at a New Years party. When Gabriella transfers to the school, they both try out for the school musical, much to the chagrin of resident drama queen Sharpay. Can Troy and Gabriella follow their passions, Breaking Free from the school's "status quo"?

I have mentioned the timeless feel of High School Musical, but this point goes beyond recognises teenage drama

In a genius move, paying homage to the original film, and turning in a fantastic performance as the cherry on top, is casting Kaycee Stroh (who played Martha Cox in the franchise) as the Drama teacher Ms Darbus. 

When I say she stole the show for me, that is not just nostalgia talking. She was truly hilarious with every swish of her oversize sleeves, every bang of her gong (not a euphemism), and every spat at Coach Bolton (played by Jason Donovan (Joseph) in Salford, with Harry Judd taking over in London). Stroh truly embodied the character of the dramatic drama teacher and was having an absolute ball. Getting to see her "pop and lock and jam and break" in the Megamix at the end didn't harm her either. 

Just as dramatic however were Caitlin Tipping and Luke Bayer (Titanique) as Drama Club leaders Sharpay and Ryan respectfully. They were both full of energy, feeling as if Sharpay and Ryan had jumped from the screen to the stage. You could see a little insecurity in Sharpay as well which brought a much needed bit of dimension for her. 

But what about Troy and Gabriella? The roles which made Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens into stars?

Worry not, Tobias Turley and Leonor Correia have the charm and innocence that these two parts. Turley in particular I was really impressed with, having that battle with himself to follow both his old and new passions. 

Out of the smaller parts, I feel the need to mention a character who does not even appear in the original film. AV club president Jack Scott's lines at his mic are in the moments in between scenes and the writing for him along with Curtis Patrick's performance, like his in Young Frankenstein, was hilarious. Watch out for the cute moment between him and Yna Tresvalles (who I loved in Ballad Lines) as Kelsi Nielsen. 

High School Musical has become a personal highlight for me - it has taken me back to being 13 years old again

I have a lot to thank the film for - it is partly thanks to the original, that I am the obsessed musical theatre nerd that I am today. Is it the best written show out there? Of course not. Is a lot of this review coming from nostalgia? Absolutely yes! But I feel confident telling you that my review brain has not been blinded by nostalgia. 

At the heart of the whole High School Musical is the motto "Be who you wanna be" (yes I am nicking it from the old Barbie adverts). Don't Stick to the Status Quo. Follow your passions, and don't give two figs (keeping it PG here) about what others may say. 

I left the Lowry feeling incredibly joyful. And yes, singing all the songs we all know and love, from Start of Something New, to We're All In This Together on the way home. 

Comments