The Flying Lovers of Vitebsk Review: filmed from the Bristol Old Vic

Last time we visited Wise Children, we were taken to a Paris chocolate shop in Romantics Anonymous. For December, they took us to Eastern Europe in The Flying Lovers of Vitebsk

I had no idea what I was letting myself into with this one. Let's see shall we. 

Originally performed as Birthday in the 90s, it was written by Daniel Jameson with music by Ian Ross, based on the real life story of Jewish painter Marc Chagell and his wife Bella from Vitebsk (in what is now Belarus), as their lives are changed by WW1, the Russian Revolution and beyond. 

Heading this two-actor production is Marc Antolin (who was in RA), and 2020 Oliver nominee for Amelie, Audrey Brisson; this music suited them so well. Brisson in particular got to get some insane parts in her register. The music is heavily inspired by the Jewish sounds we're used to hearing in Fiddler on the Roof but there are also Russian and French influences in there too. In fact, you hear the characters sing in French, Yiddish, German and I think Russian in the score too. 

I admit, this is not going to be for everyone. It is perhaps the most experimental thing I have seen this year, along with Cabaret. In fact, the wedding scene reminded me of Cabaret a lot in how it was choregraphed. But it was also influenced a lot by mime, from the choreography, to Brisson and Antolin painting their faces white. 

Whether this is your cup of tea or not, one thing you can agree on is that the lighting pops out colour like one of Chagell's painting. As Brisson and Antolin are dressed in black and white (another nod to mime), the background draws the eye in even more, despite it just being a plain colour against a back-drop sheet. 

Would I recommend this? Depends who's asking. The Flying Lovers of Vitebsk is a bit of an emotional roller-coaster (I don't want to spoil the story in case you do decide to watch it). It does take its time to get going, and also to get used to its unique style. So if you think you'll enjoy this, then I say go for it. I personally preferred Romantics Anonymous to this one, but that's just me. 

If you want to check this out, then you can get your tickets here: Wise Children (ticketco.events) 

Comments