The Theatre Scribbles Lockdown Playlist

As we have not been able to go to physical theatres for so long, I don't know about you, but I have turned a lot more to cast albums: thank goodness for iTunes and Spotify!

So I would like to share what has become the soundtrack to lockdown - from albums that have dropped during lockdown, to ones from shows I have discovered that have kept me sane and a couple more surprises along the way. 

Ok, let's go: if there's a favourite of yours I haven't mentioned, let me know in the comments 😊

Credit: https://giphy.com/gifs/it-rare-pingu-ku5EcFe4PNGWA



& Juliet:
This is less about lockdown itself and more me reminiscing to a time when Ms Rona hadn't forced the entire Performing Arts sector to close down. This was the last show I saw before it all went to pot. Meeting another theatre obsessed friend in London: day seats: front row: with gin: oggling at Oliver Tompsett. Bliss

Best song: It's My Life

https://open.spotify.com/album/3JbJ4BZWKu38meXMPwmxmh


Amelie If I didn't include this one, my friend Mark would 100% come and find me with a knife.... This one dropped in June with the Twitter-sphere going crazy! And why not when this is such a hidden gem in the MT genre. In fact, this has been hailed as the best production of the show - the actor musician vibe fits it so well!!

Best song: either Stay or When The Booth Goes Bright. Depends what mood I'm in

https://open.spotify.com/album/0LbuntgBDRW7SG5HaFQfKB


Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist: The first out of two musical TV shows that have aired (the other we will come to later), this is similar to shows like Glee in that its essentially a jukebox musical. After a CT scan gone wrong, Zoey can now hear other people's thoughts - as popular musical numbers! With her new powers she tries to solve her family's, friend's and colleagues' problems, for better or worse... It's as hilarious as it sounds! I didn't get round to reviewing this but I am hoping to put that right when Season 2 airs. 

Best song: Any song with Skylar Astin's Max 😍

https://open.spotify.com/artist/57bUufbyKAiTkj93wvYz8n


Jagged Little Pill: When I was 20, Alanis Morrissette's album blew my mind. It isn't one I would think of becoming a musical, but when I heard the cast album, I fell in love straight away with the arrangements for these songs. And the harmonies OMG THE HARMONIES!!! I really hope it transfers across the pond - we need it!

Best song: Smiling is gorgeous! But so is You Learn, I love how they arranged that. And Predator is amazing as well. Morrissette wrote that one specifically for the show..... Yes I love this show, what of my rambling!

https://open.spotify.com/album/3JUvh3Ch6QFxguLABtTOE3


The Grinning Man
: One of the best surprises this year is seeing productions that I would never have had the chance to normally - even better when they turn out as good as this. The Grinning Man is based off a Victor Hugo story and is a dark look at a young man who had his face cut as a child. I would definitely recommend this one if you're a fan of shows such as Les Mis, Hunchback or Sweeney Todd. The only downside is that it somehow refuses to copy to my ipod.... THAAANKS! Sadly the album is not available on Spotify or iTunes but you can buy it at Bristol Old Vic's Shop. Oh and one more thing, it is a LIVE recording - always a bonus in my book. 

Best song: The Smiling Song

https://bristololdvic.org.uk/shop


Central Park: The OTHER musical TV show, this is created by the team behind Bob's Burgers - and I am OBSESSED with it! The cast is insane from Leslie Odom Jr, Josh Gad and Tituss Burgess to name a couple, and the songs are so randomly entertaining! Think songs about picking up dog poo and rubbish removal could be good - have a listen! The team have somehow managed to get people like Cyndi Lauper, Sara Bareilles and EGOT winner (ABOUT TIME!!!) Alan Menken on board...! If you want to watch the show, it is on Apple TV. 

Best song: There's a lot! Own It, Weirdos Make Great Superheroes, Do It While We Can, Die Trying.... 

https://open.spotify.com/album/253wtagKgfFJJ1Lhp8BwJJ


Alice By Heart: Created by the same writers as Spring Awakening, this is Alice in Wonderland as you've never heard it. It's the perfect album to listen to for an early-evening wind down, whether that be with a cuppa tea, a good book, or a soak in the bath. Obviously give this a listen if you are a fan of Duncan Sheik and Steven Sater's work, but musically it also gives off Dear Evan Hansen and Dogfight vibes - so Pasek and Paul fans should enjoy this too. 

Best song: Down The Hole, Another Room In Your Head and Winter Blooms. They're all quite similar to each other so I don't feel bad putting them together. 

https://open.spotify.com/album/00gw97qbRgKXOcr2MSGzvl


#Zoological Society: Do not be fooled. This is not Madagascar. But if you are a fan of shows with a bit of naughty language like Avenue Q and The Book of Mormon, rejoice! Set in a zoo with a bunch of foul-mouthed animals, it features Lucie Jones (RENT), Jason Manford (Curtains) and Trevor Dion Nicholas (Aladdin). If you want something random that'll make you laugh, this is for you. 

Best song: Marvin. Hearing a penguin scream "Then you ****ed off!" definitely let me know what I was in for. 

https://open.spotify.com/album/0lzIxaW0CycRP4n3eHExEI


Hamilton: One of the few GOOD things Ms Rona brought is the Hamilfilm on Disney + a year earlier than expected. And we were all reminded what a masterpiece Hamilton has become. Why would I not include this? 

Best song: Satisfied. You all know why

https://open.spotify.com/album/1kCHru7uhxBUdzkm4gzRQc

Comments