Review: Next to Normal, at the Donmar Warehouse, London

A complete 180 from Guys & Dolls for the 2nd part of a two show day I had in London before leaving for Amsterdam the next day... 

Making its UK debut, Next to Normal is a show I have known about for a long time - but not one I extensively listened to. 

Still, I was excited to hear it would be coming to the UK at last, and bought the ticket as soon as I could; and good thing I did, as the run is completely sold out...!

Just as Guys & Dolls was my first visit to the Bridge, this marks my first ever visit to the Donmar Warehouse, located in Covent Garden. 

Written by Tom Kitt and Brian Yorkey, Next to Normal not only won the Tony for Best Musical, but also the Pulitzer Prize for Drama. 

Next to Normal centres on the Goodman family: mother Diana has been living with severe bi-polar disorder after a very traumatic event in her life: father Dan is trying his best to hold his family together, but perhaps not fully understanding the best way to go about it: daughter Natalie longs to be seen by her parents and starts to spiral as a result of feeling invisible. And the ghost of their son Gabe, haunting the house, whether the family knows it or not. 

I don't want to give much away, in case of any leaks; and I am very hopeful for a West End transfer, the right theatre being available depending. 

(I say that because, similar to Lizzie, the Donmar space gives a feeling of chaos and claustrophobia; and so I don't think it will have the same messy quality in a huge theatre)

But know that this show will leave you shaken, bleeding and raw. 


I don't know another piece of art off the top of my head that speaks out mental illness in such a forward way, at the centre of its story. Or grief described this way; everyone experiences grief differently, and each way the family deals with it is truly tragic. 

An interview with lecturer and writer Andrew Solomon describes it best. He says the show is ultimately: 

"[…]about grief that cannot be resolved because mental illness is in the way."

The book by Yorkey, grips you and keeps you invested; while Kitt's rocky score flays you just as much as the guitar strings.

Then you add in this very talented company of eight characters, and your heart is ripped out. You Don't Know as an example does that in the first couple of notes. 

Leading the company is Caissie Levy, returning to the West End for the first time since her run originating Molly in Ghost. Diana goes through every emotion and so do you watching Levy interpret her highs and her lows. Her raw grief guts you; before her tragic interpretation of I Miss The Mountains is a vocal soothing balm - and then rinse repeat. I feel very lucky to have now seen her live on stage, especially in this role. 

Jamie Parker (Guys & Dolls) plays husband Dan, not quite understanding what his wife is going through, one note through tearing his hair out, both at Diana's situation, and at the advice from her doctors (both played by Trevor Dion-Nicholas (Aladdin)). Original Matilda Eleanor Worthington-Cox plays Natalie; her story, while it has its challenges, is where the sweeter moments come in, in her relationship with the doe-eyed Henry (Jack Ofrecio). 

Jack Wolfe (The Magician's Elephant) is the final piece in this chaotic puzzle, as the son Gabe. He has a very haunting look about it, and turns it up to eleven playing the projection of Diana's grief. His version of I'm Alive is an absolute highlight. 

Everyone who has seen this show hopefully understands just how emotional this show is. 

The only note I would give is the pacing, as well as the length of the first half. I had in fact at one point wondered if it was a 1-act straight through with no interval. 

Like I said, the run is sadly sold out, but I do definitely hope we see a future life because more people deserve to see this gut-wrenching piece.  

Comments