Sit down, you're rocking the boat!!


Last Friday, I, along with my dad, popped in to Manchester's Palace Theatre to catch the new production of Guys and Dolls before it's run at London's Savoy Theatre over Christmas and following on from its run at Chichester (making it the third Chichester production I have seen this year, following on from Gypsy and Mack and Mabel).

With music and lyrics by Frank Loesser, the story of New York gangs, gamblers and nightclub singers had its premiere on Broadway in 1950, followed by a West End transfer in 1953, and then the 1955 film starring Frank Sinatra and Marlon Brando. Since its premiere, it has been revived multiple times, winning a total of 9 Tonys and 8 Oliviers over the years, and it now considered one of the best musicals ever! Quite a bold statement to make if you ask me...?!

Now firstly, I would like to mention that the story is brilliantly written - tight, clean and sharp - and the songs that go with it are equally fantastically written, as well as catchy. A few of my favourites would be Sit Down You're Rocking The Boat (which I have had in my head constantly since I saw the show), Luck Be A Lady and Adelaide's Lament. Oh and I have to mention that the score alone draws you into 1950 New York - it's electric!

On to the performances, I first need to mention Sophie Thompson, who gave a wonderfully and heart-felt performance as Miss Adelaide. Her performance of Adelaide's Lament was hilarious and you really felt for her! I really hope my fiancé doesn't wait around 14 years like Nathan does! I'm sure she'll get rave reviews in the West End; as will her co-star Jamie Parker.
Frank Sinatra famously wanted the role of Sky before he was offered Nathan Detroit. Now, if he did manage to have his way and sing Luck Be A Lady instead of Sue Me, it might have sounded fairly similar to how Jamie Parker sounded on the night. His vocals were incredible, and there was a wonderful big-band or jazz singer-type quality to it that suited the role of Sky Masterson perfectly! As I have compared him to Sinatra, I should tell you that he was a guest on the John Wilson Frank Sinatra Prom this year, so check him out on YouTube.

While watching Sibhuan Harrison as Sarah Brown, I at first kept thinking that she was Sierra Boggess (who has also played Sarah), but as soon as I realised it was a completely person, I did enjoy her performance. The Havana scene when she was drunk-dancing in a Cuban nightclub was a particular highlight for me, as it was brilliant to watch - I have to give cudos to the guy who choreographed that actually! Oh and the choreography during The Crapshooter's Dance was also mesmerising to watch!
I did like David Haig as Nathan Detroit, but I felt that he didn't quite shine compared to his peers. Despite that though, I thought he did a good job in bringing out the pathetic nature in Nathan and he did bring in some nice chemistry with Adelaide during their scenes together. The other two memebers in the cast I need to give a quick mention to are Gavin Spokes as Nicely Nicely Johnson, and Nic Greenshields (who I have also seen as Jud Fry in Oklahoma) as Big Jule - you won't be able to miss him!

All in all, I have really enjoyed my time watching this incredible show! I am probably going to grab a copy of one of the cast recordings - let me know of any you guys would recommend to me - and I also urge you to go and buy a ticket, whether it is to the tour, or to the West End! As the leaflets say, "Don't leave it to Lady Luck"!

Update: this is with the 2016 West End cast, who will be shortly finishing a run at the Savoy Theatre, but who will be transferring to the Phoenix Theatre soon. The new touring cast includes Louise Dearman as Miss Adelaide and Richard Fleeshman as Sky =)

Comments