Review: The Last Five Years, at the Garrick Theatre, London

One of; well actually TWO of the highlights of 2020 were two productions of Jason Robert Brown's The Last Five Years. One filmed fully online from Lambert Jackson Productions, the other filmed from the Southwark Playhouse, where it had played before s*** went down.  

It is the Southwark Playhouse production we will be talking about today, as it has just transferred over to the Garrick Theatre right around the corner from Trafalgar Square. 

The Last Five Years follows the relationship of a New York couple, Jamie and Cathy, over a five year period. From their first meetings, to their eventual separation. He starts at the beginning. She starts at the end and works backwards. 

The thing that hits you seeing it on stage rather than online (well, hits you more I guess), is that Cathy and Jamie do not look at each other at all. They're never in the same place in their relationship and are constantly going around in their own circles; or in this case, a revolve with a piano on it. 

The only song they sing together is The Next Ten Minutes during their wedding, but that is IT! Everything else is a solo from their perspective, so you are constantly at odds as to what exactly is causing their relationship to crumble before their eyes. 

Reprising their performances were Oli Higginson and Molly Lunch (Sunset Boulevard), who shine as Jamie and Cathy respectively (though I won't talk too much as I went into detail last time). One thing I'd like to highlight is that both of them also play piano in this - Jason Robert Brown does NOT write easy accompaniments either. And they play a substantial amount of it too, more than I realised the first time I saw it! 

You may remember when I was talking about Blithe Spirit that there were to shows that I booked last minute? This was the other one. 

This has received mixed reviews from what I have read, but those who love it say about the lack of tension in the book; which I get. You know from the opener, Still Hurting, that something went wrong. But those who do praise it say that this is possible the definitive production; and I can understand that to. It is a hard show to pull off for sure, but with Higginson and Lynch leading the way, it is still a powerful watch. 

I'd also like to thank the team the Garrick for updating my seat for me - look at the view I got!

If you want to see The Last Five Years, it is running until 17th October at the Garrick Theatre. 

Comments