Review: South Pacific, filmed at Chichester Festival Theatre

Source: Chichester Festival Theatre (@chichesterft) • Instagram photos and videos
With the theatres being back at full capacity, it is a race against time to try and fit everything in - and think how am I going to get to see everything all at once. This is why I appreciated it when I heard Chichester Festival Theatre were holding streamed performances of their version of South Pacific - for those who cannot make it to the theatre physically, or are still feeling vulnerable after the restrictions lifted. 

And it saved me a car ride/train ticket - Bolton to Chichester is a long way!

I have seen the film version before but never a staged production of the Rodgers & Hammerstein classic. And since my review of the film was one of the very first ones I had ever done *cringe*, I intend to do a better job this time....

This production is one I have been very excited to see, albeit not how I expected it. Directed by Chichester's Artistic Director, Daniel Evans, it has brought the piece into a fresh new light - what was radical for R&H back in the 40s is taken even further. 

Source: Chichester Festival Theatre (@chichesterft) • Instagram photos and videos
The piece was radical for its commentary on particularly racism - it explores culture tensions, fear of the enemy and unknown, how a very "conservative" upbringing comes back to bite you in the butt, conflict of opinions regarding inter-racial relationships and more. What Evans' creative team have done is really brought the contrasts and contradictions of the characters in a way that I doubt many other people will have seen them. (Well certainly I hadn't as I had forgotten most of what happened). 

None of the main characters or situation they end up in are black or white, or fully right or wrong. 

But it's not just racial conflict, as sexual conflict is also discussed. Take There Is Nothin' Like A Dame. Instead of a joyful sea-shanty-esqe tune, you feel genuinely concerned for the women moved over to Bali Ha'i, and are praying that these sexually starved men are NOT given an opportunity to head over there. 

It is a heavier piece than you perhaps remember or expect - and Evans and his team do not shy away from that. In fact they have come to hit it head on and have those discussions; they must be commended for that. 

From the heavier to the lighter, but still sticking with the creative here. The lighting, costume and choreography were all absolutely gorgeous. 

Source: Chichester Festival Theatre (@chichesterft) • Instagram photos and videos
I'm mentioning costume for mainly Joanna Ampil's as well as her make-up - but also on the other end of the spectrum, Luther Billis' drag get up in Honey Bun... 😆😆

The stage was lit up in a mixture of contrasting warm yellows and darker blues and greys, befitting the contrast of a war going on a beautiful setting such as this. The main exception being the Honey Bun scene where it's a lot brighter to capture the very American "cheering up the Marines" vibe. 

As for choreography, it has its classic moments, but I particularly wanted to bring up the moments with Liat, played by Sera Maehara. She is a character that very rarely speaks, so choreographer and movement director Ann Lee came up with ideas for Liat to communicate physically rather than verbally. And from at the very beginning where she dances to the sound of birds and a harp interrupted by the Marines, to her meeting with Cable, to a particularly heart-breaking moment at the very end (no spoilers).. it was touching. 

Source: Chichester Festival Theatre (@chichesterft) • Instagram photos and videos
What is even better is that there is no weak link in this cast: lead by Gina Beck as Nellie Forbush, and Julian Ovenden as Emile de Becque, it also features the already mentioned Ampil as Bloody Mary, Rob Houchen (Eugenius) perfectly cast as Cable and Keir Charles bringing in the comedy as Luther Billis. 

(If you go and see it in person, you may be watching Alex Young (Anything Goes) as Nellie, as she is currently sharing the role with Beck, who is currently pregnant with her 2nd child.)  

Beck and Ovenden are particularly enjoyable to watch - Nellie is loveable despite her one rather large flaw, and Ovenden ties it all together for me. What he says to the marine commanders really hits home: "I know what you are against. What are you for?". Plus the way he sings Some Enchanted Evening is enough to make you believe Nellie is falling in love with him. 

Source: Chichester Festival Theatre (@chichesterft) • Instagram photos and video
This production was one I wanted to see for a reason. Partly due to the cast, partly because I had never been to Chichester before (still need to tick that one off but never mind); and partly because I had a feeling Evans and his team would be working hard to create something different. And that is eactly what they did. 

If you live closer to Chichester than I do, I would 100% recommend seeing it live in person. I imagine the atmosphere must be incredible. 

But if like me it's a bit far, then take full advantage of the streamed performances they have. The next one is this Saturday night (14th August), and you can get tickets here: Chichester Festival Theatre (ticketco.events)

I hope that this production has another life after Covid - maybe a West End transfer? It's been a while since a Chichester has done that as best to my knowledge? (Correct me if I am wrong please). 

What I can definitely so is that this has made me even more excited for Carousel - a summer full of re-imagined Rodgers & Hammerstein indeed!

Comments