I'm Still Standing!

After the end of quite frankly, a shite week, what could be better than a cinema trip - and so last night, my friend Claire and I went to see Rocketman, the Elton John bio-pick that I have been wanting to see for a long time.

What I didn't realise is just how much of a proper musical this film truly is, with full on dance numbers and all, so I thought I would scramble some notes together!
Speaking of dance numbers, before I forget, I might as well mention the choreography, as it is pretty slick. It only really shows up in a few numbers, including Saturday Night's Alright and the title number itself.

Written by Lee Hall (Billy Elliot), the film chronicles Reginald Dwight, later Elton John's life, told in flashback during John's stay in rehab; including his troubled childhood, meeting collaborator Bernie Taupin (Jamie Bell, another Billy Elliot alumnus), his heights of his career, his substance addiction, and his turbulent relationship with his lover/manager (played by Richard Madden).

As well as all these starry turns, including Bryce Dallas Howard as his complicated mother, are some theatre names too, notably Celinde Schoenmaker (On The Town) as Renate Blauel, Sharon D Clarke (Caroline Or Change) as the support worker, and Alexia Khadime. For any Keith Lemon fans, keep an eye out for him too.

Starring as John himself, is Taron Egerton and he is truly the star of the film - I had no idea John went through half what he did, and Egerton played him truthfully and honestly. You really felt for him, with every time he swigged a drink or got the coke out.
Vocally, Egerton was slick and sounded much like John himself - but that was no surprise. Has anyone else seen Sing - it was by the same studio that did the Despicable Me films? In the film, Egerton voices Johnny, a gorilla who at the end of the film sings.... I'm Still Standing. It was meant to be!

When I told my colleagues that I was going to see Rocketman that night, one of them said it was even better than Bohemian Rhapsody. Well, I have no idea about that, because I've still not seen that yet.
But I can tell you for any music fans, for you're looking for a good drama, or something a bit flashy (look at the costumes alone!), then Rocketman is the film for you!

Comments