Solidarity Forever!!

Some stories in life are best described as 'better late than never'. This is one of those instances; in my final year of college, my school did Billy Elliot, and me and my violin ended up playing in the pit - it was the only show I was involved in at school and so it holds a bit of a special place in my heart. Since then, I always wanted to see it London, but I never got the chance, and so when I heard that it was to close after an 11 year run (!), I was so upset... until I found out it was going to go on tour, for the first time, in 2016! And so flash-forward to now as the show is just about to enter its last week in its Manchester run.
Based on the 2000 film, the show was created by Elton John and Lee Hall, and has been a huge success on both sides of the pond, winning 4 Oliviers and 10 Tonys as well as many other awards to boot.

Set in the North East during the 1984/85 miners strike, the story follows 12 year old Billy as he ends up in a ballet class, and, against his family's wishes, auditions for the Royal Ballet School.
The whole show hinges on getting the right boys to play the title role, as he is on stage constantly, and I mean that literally. I cannot think of a moment off the top of my head in which Billy doesn't pop up somewhere. For the tour, 5 boys were cast. and for our night, we had Haydn May on as Billy - and bloody hell (in the best Geordie accent you can get away) he was phenomenal! I bet there were a lot of lads in the audience who were jealous at just how insanely talented this kid is! He particularly shone during the more vulnerable scenes, showcasing a young boy still grieving for his mother (played by Nikki Gerrard), and also during moments when he could show off his dancing skills, such as Electricity, Angry Dance or the moment shared with his older self (played by Luke Cinque-White). While I remember, here's a thumbs up to choreographer Peter Darling.

While you may be sobbing during some moments, I can guarantee the next, you will still carry on crying - with laughter it is, and there are plenty of opportunities to grab a laugh, mainly from the script; although be warned, the colourful language is scattered left right and centre (I wouldn't take young children to this one...). In addition, be expected to get plenty of laughs from Andrea Miller's Grandma ("WHERE'S ME PASTY!"), Leo Atkin's George's boxing lesson and the dancing skills from Daniel Page's Mr Braithwaite in Born to Boogie (particularly funny having just gone through The Letter scene just beforehand).
Another highlight for me was Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher, taken place at the Miner's xmas party - I won't say what's in it, although if someone could make a Trump version, I think we will all be grateful (especially as I saw the show on inauguration day...), and, though this may be an odd one, the Finale; trust me, it is something to behold to see the whole company tap away in tutus, particularly as they must all be exhausted.

I have to say that I am so glad I have FINALLY gotten to see this show! As they say, better late than never, and if you can, try and get tickets either for the last few Manchester dates or for another venue
on the run, because this I think is something everyone should see. It's funny, it's incredibly powerful, Elton John's music is some of his best, Lee Hall's book and lyrics are both heart-warming and hilarious - it was just a fantastic show, and what a start to the year! The only sad bit was that I accidentally spilt my cider on the floor just before the show started.....

Comments