Stick It To The Man!!!

Show 2/2 on Starsky and Hutch's holiday in London Town!

Following on from Waitress the other night, Wednesday brought Emma's choice after a day spent at the Tower of London, a bit of shopping in Covent Garden and pizza at Spaghetti House - bring out your air guitars and your inner Jack Black, and get ready to head-bang, as her pick was School of Rock.

Andrew Lloyd-Webber, Glen Slater and Julian Fellowes' (yes THAT Julian Fellowes) musical is directed by Laurence Connor (Chess, Miss Saigon) and adapted from the 2003 film of the same name - I actually remember it coming out, and the posters being put up everywhere. It's one that I watched in Music class (you know, that time in the year when it was the end of term and all you did was watch films), round Year 10 I think... and I've been a fan of it ever since.

Just like Waitress, it was nominated for the 2016 Tonys, getting 4 nominations, but no wins.... What else do you expect when you're up against Hamilton huh?

Like the film, School of Rock tells the story of Dewey Finn, a washed-up wannabe rocker, who in desperate measures to pay the rent, takes his flatmate's place as a substitute teacher in a posh prep school. After noticing his class' talent for music, he decides to form a band starring the little ones to win the Battle of the Bands competition. As it goes along, he teaches the kids to Stick It To The Man and starts to change the their lives for the better....
It's also more timely than people might realise; as it is ultimately a story of how arts education (not just music, but all forms of art) is for children and young people - I urge EVERY politician to see this, amid all the Brexit chaos, see how important arts education is, and STOP all these funding cuts!!

Anyway, I digress...

Playing the lead role of Dewey Finn was Craig Gallivan, and I HAVE NO FRICKING IDEA WHERE HE GETS ALL THAT ENERGY FROM!!! Like in the film, Dewey NEVER STOPS, constantly running, playing his guitar, head-banging or jumping from class tables. In the few moments he was standing still, he was STILL belting and screaming his face off! No wonder he collapsed during the bows!

Laura Tebbutt starred as the v.prim and proper Principal Rosalie Mullens. She took a very different interpretation to Joan Cusack from the film, but her vocals soared in her big solo, Where Did The Rock Go (which I am currently doing in my singing lessons oddly enough - and it's HARD!). Oh, and I must say, by adding a bit from the fricking Queen of the Night aria (look it up), thank you Andrew Lloyd Webber for ensuring that only a soprano can play Rosalie Mullens 😒
(Fun fact: I'm pretty sure that Tebbutt was my very first Fantine waaay back… I've digressed again haven't I...?)

Very special mentions MUST go to the kids - of course I cannot mention ALL of them, but I must talk about Nayan Gupta (Freddy), Evie Lawley (Katie), Casper Lloyd (Laurence) and Jasper Bew (Zach), as this was the titular School of Rock itself. It's 100% true that they play their own instruments live whenever they're on stage (winning an Oliver for this), but it sounds THAT good, I often forget that it's the kids playing!! I have no idea where they get all these kids from?
On a side note, he may not play an instrument, but Will Tarpey's sassy fashion designer Billy was hilarious! 💁

ANOTHER show where you can use your phone during the Finale...!
Onto my recommendation - if you're a fan of the film, then this is 100% a MUST SEE!
And there's more! This can also be a good choice if: a) you want to introduce someone to Musical Theatre without being too.... what's the word.... I guess stereotypical...? What I mean is that if someone's not a fan of "typical" MT, you wouldn't take them to see something like 42nd Street or Anything Goes would you? (And also, like I said, if they liked the film, it helps a lot)
And secondly b) if you want something to take kids, and more importantly teenagers to - especially if they think they've outgrown the Disney shows (Aladdin, Lion King, Mary Poppins etc - why they would think that I've no idea! Teenage phases can be weird.... I digress yet again).

If you're looking for something a bit more classical or chilled, then it's best to pass on this one (at least for the time being).
However, if want a musical that's a bit different, and something you can ROCK out too, then this is right up your street!

Comments