Oliviers 2017 Reactions

So following on from my post the other day looking back at the last 2 years, here's my round up of all things Olivier for 2017 - I would have posted this earlier, but thought I'd wait until after I saw the highlights show (aired last night (Tuesday 11th April) rather than the night of the ceremony itself), just in case I missed something. Now that that's all done, let's dig right in shall we.

I must start with the big winner of the night, almost sweeping the awards - the juggernaut that is Harry Potter and the Cursed Child won 9 out of its 11 (!) nominations, the most garnered nominations in Olivier history for a new play! Along with Best Play (obviously!) and a lot of the tech awards (sound, costume etc), they also won 3/4 Acting in a Play prizes: Best Actor for Jamie Parker as Harry, Best Actress in a Supporting Role for Noma Dumezweni as Hermione (who made a fantastic speech by the way, you need to check it out!), and Best Actor in a Supporting Role for Anthony Boyle as Scorpius Malfoy. This wasn't really much of a surprise to be honest, I think everyone was expecting for it to take a lot, like Hamilton did at the Tonys last year (and possibly at next years Oliviers, we shall see).

On to another play that did rather well (partly because Harry Potter wasn't nominated in either category but oh well), was Yerma, which won Best Revival, as well as Best Actress for its star Billie Piper. The first award announced, this was one that I don't think anyone could point their finger, because it was such a close race - I mean the other nominees consisted of Cherry Jones (The Glass Menagerie), Ruth Wilson (Hedda Gabler) and Glenda Jackson (King Lear)!!! Who could have called that! But I digress, congrats Billie.

From plays to dance (not what I usually talk about), but another highlight was from Matthew Bourne's The Red Shoes, which won Best Choreographer and Best Entertainment and Family. We were also treated to a performance from the show, and it does look good, so perhaps I will add this to my list, as it is coming back out on tour later this year.

And now from dance to the musicals, and unlike the Harry Potter mania in the play department, this was a lot more even spread, as no single musical won more than 2 awards. First up to the ones who won 1 award a piece: including Rebecca Trehearn winning Best Supporting Actress in a Musical as Julie LaVerne in the Sheffield transfer of Showboat (which I was gutted not to catch), the Regents Park Open Air Theatre production of Jesus Christ Superstar which won Best Musical Revival and Andrew Lloyd Webber's new musical School of Rock, which won the Outstanding Achievement in Music - this is one I am really happy about, especially after their performance of Stick It To The Man, as it is for the 3 groups of children who play their instruments LIVE EVERY NIGHT. Plus, their speech was one of the best of the entire evening.

On to the final musical winners who each won 2 awards. Firstly to the UK premiere of Dreamgirls, which won 2 of the acting awards. Neither should come as a surprise, from what I've heard, to a lot of people who have seen the show; the Best Supporting Actor in a Musical went to Adam J Bernard, who plays Jimmy "Thunder" Early, and the Best Actress in a Musical award went to Glee-alum Amber Riley as Effie White. She performed the show-stopping And I Am Telling You (I'm Not Going), and I cannot be the only who got goosebumps. I am now desperate to see the show!!

Finally, as far as the nominees are concerned, to Tim Minchin's Groundhog Day, which was leading the musical nominations with 8, and won the big prize, Best New Musical. It also, in a surprise shock to a lot of people, won Best Actor in a Musical for its star Andy Karl (who is currently reprising the role on Broadway). The favourite for a lot of people was Charlie Stemp for Half A Sixpence (who along with Gary Barlow's The Girls unfortunately went home empty-handed), or perhaps Tyrone Huntley for Jesus Christ Superstar. I'm not sure a lot of people expected Groundhog Day to take what it did, and it now makes its chances at the Tonys in a few months very interesting indeed.

I cannot finish up without mentioning the Special Award, which went to Sir Kenneth Branagh for his contribution to British Theatre - very well deserved Sir. The theme of this years awards was Be Inspired, and I'm hoping there were a lot of people who were inspired by what they heard/saw on stage the other night.
The only sad thing is that I only got 1 cross off the bingo card - not even a mention of Trump or Brexit! But I guess that's a good thing in a way, because the winners were more focused on thanking the people who inspired them - aka, not focusing on the doom and gloom! =D

Finally, I have to say that I will be catching one of the nominated muscials (I'm not telling whether it won anything or not, you'll have to find out) in a few weeks! Have a guess, and tune in in May to see whether you were right =P

Comments