We're Going To Need Considerably Bigger Buns..............

It's going to be a very full November! I'll be in London again soon (yay!) reviewing some new autumn theatre from the National, Young Vic and more, plus a MASSIVE hit is coming to Manchester soon! 
But first, I went to the Lowry with my mum for a mother-daughter date (the last time was for Beautiful last Xmas), to see Calendar Girls: The Musical (formally known as The Girls). Following on the popular film and play, Gary Barlow and Tim Firth's musical takes on the story of a group of Yorkshire WI ladies who set out to make a nude calendar for charity, in memory of one of the ladies' late husband. 

The show previously did a small UK tour prior to a run in the West End which lasted 6 months (which was nominated for some Oliviers last year), but to be honest, I wasn't particularly interested at the time, probably as I'm not exactly a Gary Barlow fan. But after the hype it made last year, I thought "Ok, let's give it a try"; plus I am a fan of the film (I mean, almost anything with Helen Mirren and Julie Walters in is gold!). Plus, the cast intrigued me, as it stars the likes of Waterloo Road's Denise Welch and Ruth Madoc from Hi-De-Hi (keeping her Welsh valleys accent mind you) to presenter Fern Britten (in a non-singing role thankfully). 

Well, I'm going to start off with probably the most obvious statement of the century - this is DEFINITELY a ladies show. I counted no more than 10 gents in the audience of the corner of my eye; but if any are brave enough to give it a whirl and think you'll enjoy it, then go for it - good for you! It's just that this is marketed a lot more towards the fairer sex. 

Now I've got that out of the way, the show itself.... Well, it's funny and a complete guilty pleasure, just like the film - but it is also surprisingly touching, never losing focus on why the ladies are doing this calendar in the first place. Phil Corbitt's John opens the show, leading the company into the "set the scene" song Yorkshire, and you immediately see how loved and important he is to not only his wife Annie (played by Ellie Leah (u/s)), but also by the whole community - so his death comes as a huge blow to everyone, and the way he departs is incredibly moving. He's a constant presence throughout the entire show. 

As the two leading girls, I have to mention Leah covering in for Anna-Jane Casey (Mack and Mabel) as Annie, John's grieving wife (who had some incredibly touching solos, Scarborough and Kilimanjaro), and Rebecca Storm as Chris, Annie's best mate who has the idea for the calendar. All of the girls have their moments, but it is these two that really shine.

It is running at the Salford Lowry until 11th November - so if you're planning a girls night any time soon, I would perhaps consider this as one of your options. It's certainly not perfect, but a lot of fun it certainly is. 

Comments