Anything One Man Can Imagine, Other Men Can Make Real

It's 2018!! I hope everyone had a fantastic New Year, and that the January blues aren't getting you down.
Fret not though, I may have found the perfect remedies for it; firstly why not relive 2017 one more time with my review of last year; then why not go along to what has ended up being the first outing of 2018; not just you, but your entire family too. You can currently find it at the Lowry Theatre in Salford. No, it is not Buddy the Elf making you pine for the festive season again - it is found in the smaller Quays Theatre (in which I saw Nell Gwynn last year).

Based on Jules Verne's book of the same name, this is the story of English gentleman Phileas Fogg, who takes a huge gamble - whether you can travel Around The World In 80 Days. Bet accepted, he and his newly-hired French valet set off, by train, boat and elephant in a race against the clock!

It's a small company, of only 8 actors playing over 100 different characters, and a small, bare set; however, it takes you on an unforgettable ride. It has been a while since I have seen such an incredibly creative and imaginative show - from how they bring an elephant on stage, the rocking of a ship, or even the passing of notes.... You'd have to see the show to know what I mean by that. I must mention the choreography is incredibly clever. As a play, this may seem strange, but it's not just about dance; in this instance, it is the fight scenes which get the honour.

The entire cast is incredible, but I HAVE to mention the star of the show: Michael Hugo, who played the French valet Passepartout. He may not be the brightest tool, but Hugo made him incredibly lovable from the get-go, plus he was absolutely hilarious. He had a lot of interaction with the audience, and ad-libbing which was great for the children in the audience. And I'll tell you now it is a brilliant different choice for families.

I am speechless in a way - because I would have skipped right over this, however, my parents found it and suggested it for my mum's birthday. So you have them to thank for this.
If you're in the Salford this week, this is the show to go for. Forget Elf (to put it mildly). Why only visit Christmas Town and NYC when you can visit the ENTIRE world in one show?!

Oh and one more thing - I didn't see this with just my parents (who I end up going to the theatre a lot with), but also my brother, who isn't exactly the biggest theatre fan. For him to say that it was one of the best things he has ever seen, to me, speaks volume.

Comments