Sparklejollytwinklejingley!!

Source: Elf: The Musical (2017) (imdb.com)
Merry Christmas!

At this time of year, I wasn't expecting to write anything until my review of this year; but as it turns out I have one more possible topic to discuss in that; 'cause in comes Buddy the Elf. 

Last night, Channel 5 aired a screening of Elf: The Musical, currently playing at Salford's Lowry Theatre. Written by Matthew Sklar and Chad Beguelin, it, of course follows the story of Buddy the Elf, from is based on the 2003 film starring Will Ferrell. 
I only found out about the screening when I was checking the paper a couple of days ago, which shows how badly advertised it was - and the co-incidence was that I very nearly booked to see the show myself - but was put off by the ticket prices. In fact, the ticket prices for its West End at the Dominion Theatre became so expensive, they made headlines.

So this is the big question - is it worth paying (at least) £50 for a ticket? 

Reprising his West End performance (as a complete contrast from his most recent performance in Phantom), is Ben Forster, and I must admit, he was enjoyable - funny, naïve and someone with an even bigger sweet tooth than me! He may not be Will Ferrell, but he did a decent enough job at taking his own spin on the role. Starring alongside him is Atomic Kitten's Liz McClaron as Jovie, who ended up being underperformed and underused.

However, I need to get to the biggest point about the show; it is the biggest Christmassy cheese-fest you could possibly imagine; and I do not mean that in a good way. Now, I am no Scrooge, in fact quite the opposite! I love Christmas, but I am also not a fan of "Christmas cheer/spirit" etc etc being shoved down my throat, which is why this is not making me want to "Just Sing A Christmas Song". It makes me sad, especially on Christmas Eve, but what was shown on the screen, to me felt incredibly clumsy.

I wouldn't think the ticket prices are worth it (I have seen many shows, both on tour and in London, far superior to this for much cheaper) - so I would personally give this one a miss. If you want to see a Christmas musical on stage, see Beautiful: The Carole King Musical at the Palace Theatre, or perhaps Dick Whittington if panto is more up your street. If you do want your fix of Buddy, you could try the animated special Elf: Buddy's Musical Christmas starring Jim Parsons (which is ok), or even better, stick with the original film. No one can do "SANTA!! OH MY GOD!!!!" better than Mr Ferrell. 

Once again, have a very Merry Christmas, and I will see you soon for the Round Up of 2017.

Comments