City of Stars, Are You Shining Just For Me?

Source: La La Land (2016) (imdb.com)
Happy 2017 everyone!!! This time of year, along with that New Years resolution to go to the gym probably already in tatters, is Awards Season in the film industry, with ceremonies flying around left right and centre; and so this is a bit of an interesting one, as this is not solely one of the hottest contenders this year, but is also a (completely) original musical film at the same time. I am of course talking about La La Land, which has already gathered 7 Golden Globe wins and 11 BAFTA nods, and is a huge OSCARS contender.

Set in LA (of course), the film follows aspiring actress Mia (played by Emma Stone) and jazz pianist Sebastian (played by Ryan Gosling) as they meet, fall in love and follow their dreams, realising that big dreams alone cannot pay the bills....
Directed by Damien Chazelle (Whiplash), the score is written by Justin Hurwitz, and it's an incredible blend of jazz, a little bit of classic MT, and other genres of light music - it is unlike any other musical soundtrack I've heard before. Team that with song lyrics by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul (who are having a huge break at the moment with Dear Evan Hanson on Broadway (note to self, check that out!)), and you get a mix which is a joy to hear. Even if you don't necessarily like musicals, I still think this is a good album to listen to, particularly if you like jazz music - it's perfect chill music, with the exception of John Legend's Start A Fire, which would definitely make you want to dance.

Now, there has been hype for this film left, right and centre; and I think it's plausible. What La La Land gave me was just pure escapism - which I think we all need after the abysmal year we've just had! What struck me about it was that, while its story may not be as jolly as the title suggests at times, they certainly made LA look spectacular. The colours couldn't pop out more if they'd tried whether in the costumes (to which I might add that both myself and my cousin (who I saw the film with) agreed that we both wanted Stone's wardrobe), or in the dance sequences; for example, A Lovely Night. the first number Stone and Gosling share together in which they dance amidst a starry LA sunset is absolutely gorgeous - and like I said, that is just an example, there are many more moments which just take your breath away. It's in these moments when you see the difference with it being shot in CinemaScope.

Confession time: I haven't watched a lot of the 50's classic musicals, but La La Land made me want to grab out the set my old housemates bought me for my birthday years ago and put that right, because it felt like seeing something from that era re-vamped for the 21st century - it really did bring back that old classic glamour, that will warm your heart right down to the cockles one minute and then smash it into a million pieces the next.
I don't really want to go any further because GO SEE IT!!!! It's perfect for beating the January blues, I would not be surprised if it keeps on winning both in the BAFTAS and OSCARS, and because it is a truly remarkable piece of art. Go. See. It.

Comments