Vanilla Ice Cream! Imagine That?!

Source: She Loves Me (2016) (imdb.com)
I found a nice little surprise on YouTube earlier today! I was having a look around (as you do) and I found a little gem recommended for me - a broadcast of this year's revival of She Loves Me, done by the Roundabout Theatre Company at Broadway's Studio 54. 

And so therefore, I felt I just HAD to do a write up =P

The 1963 Jerry Bock and Sheldon Harnick musical (the same team behind Fiddler on the Roof), was based on Hungarian play Parfumerie (which has also inspired the film You've Got Mail). This production, unlike most other musicals due to Hamilton-mania managed to win a Tony for Best Scenic Design of a Musical (for which I can definitely understand why, as the set moved seamlessly from the outside to the either the front or back room of the shop, or the restaurant), and was nominated for 7 more, including for three of its stars: Laura Benanti as Amalia Balash, Zachary Levi as Georg Novak and the hilarious Jane Krakowski as Ilona Ritter. 

The story tells of Amalia and Georg, two colleagues at a perfume shop in 1930s Budapest, who don't get along too well, but who also happen to be secret pen-pals; and what comes out of it is something that is heartwarming and incredibly funny, but it also succeeds in breaking your heart in moments, and in one particular moment, it had the potential to get quite dark.... Dw, no spoilers

As I mentioned, Benanti, Levi and Krakowski were all Tony nominated for their performances, and I can definitely see why. Starting with our two leads, Benanti and Levi were endearing and had a great chemistry with each other (which as you can imagine, is SO important), Levi in particular being incredibly likeable, in a dorky kind of way which I absolutely loved. Also, a little note to any DIsney fans out there, Levi is Flynn Rider's voice in Tangled.... I'll let that sink in...
In Krakowski's case, I think she could well have got the Featured Actress Award if not for Renee Elise Goldsberry, because she was phenomenal. I connected with her funny and sweet Ilona immediately; Krakowski had a lovely natural tone in her voice, especially in songs like I Resolve and A Trip to the Library, and her comic timing was SPOT ON; and I have to say, this part is a great addition to the Alto-part collection. 
The rest of the cast also had its moment to shine, and I cannot go without mentioning Gavin Creel's flirtatious Kodaly - he is definitely what you would call a slimy so-and-so...

I'm not going to mention any more because I want everyone to see this for themselves. In fact, click the link below to see the full performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioCxCHGE9Aw

All I can say, before I only knew the song Vanilla Ice Cream (which is an absolute joy to hear Benanti sing while I'm on the subject), now I hope She Loves Me either comes to the West End again or goes on a little tour - there's a production of it currently at the Menier Chocolate Factory starring Scarlett Strallen as Amalia. It's apparently got rave reviews so watch this space.....

Comments