A Round-Up of 2016

As per tradition, this is my general review of 2016! Enjoy!
Remember to click the names in pink to read my reviews in full

Performance of the Year Award: This year, unlike last year, where Imelda Staunton was head and shoulders above everyone else, no matter how hard they tried, there has been a much more even spread - so much so, I have decided to split this award into two: Male and Female.
There were a few to choose from, particuarly for the women; I adored Jodie Pregner as Emma in the one-woman show Tell Me On A Sunday and Jane Krawkoski was adorable in the NYC She Loves Me broadcast. But for the Female Award, I have to give it to a performance that came quite late in the year, which is Kaisa Hammarlund for her dynamic and touching performance as Charity Hope Valentine in the Royal Exchange's Sweet Charity.
The Male Award was a lot simpler, Liam Tamne's Frank N Furter in The Rocky Horror Show being the only honourable mention for me. But even he doesn't top who is now my new MT crush, and that is Jon Robyns as Emmett Forrest in Leicester Curve's Legally Blonde. He would come back later in the year as Eddie in Sister Act, but nothing could beat his Emmett in my opinion; it was a classic example of making the part your own, as he made him a complete dork, and also the sweetest guy around (there was a wonderful little touch in So Much Better that explains that perfectly, click here to a link to the review in full and that will explain everything).

Almost-but-not-quite Award: I hate to say this, but I feel I have to give this one to Hairspray Live!. This is such a shame as Hairspray is one of my absolute favourites; but while it had (mostly) spot on casting and the right team behind it, there was not enough POP for me. Every other time I have either seen Hairspray, whether on film or stage, it has made me want to get up and dance. This one barely had my toe tapping. Despite that though, Jennifer Hudson's I Know Where I've Been is well worth a listen.

Leaky Eyes Award: Uh-Les Mis, DUH! It's Les Mis for crying out loud (haha), and though it took me right until the Finale to let the tears fall, once they started, they couldn't stop (particuarly as the final words hit home with me at the time). I will have to mention though Jason Manford's performance of Hushabye Mountain from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang *sniff!* so adorable!

Laughed-till-I-was-sore Award: This is SO DIFFICULT!!!!!! Sam Harrison and Scott Paige as the Vulgarian spies in Chitty, Sophie Linder-Lee's very energetic Columbia in Rocky Horror, Gerard Carey's Lord Farquaad in Shrek, Rufus Hound as Mr Toad in Stiles and Drewe's The Wind in the Willows....  There are LOADS to choose from!!! Oh, and a completley different type of humour to say the least, I think I should also mention Steven Meo in Pride and Prejudice, as he was SPOT ON as Mr Collins! Honestly, I do not think I can call it this year....

Danced-till-they-dropped Award: I think I need to give this (no surprise seeing as Drew McOnie won the Olivier for this show) to In The Heights, which I saw at London's Kings Cross Theatre in the summer. McOnie really took advantage of the musical styles to make this awesome fusion of different genres: classic MT, Latin American Salsa and street dance. He's not the busiest choreographer alive right now for nothing you know. Brief mention too to Sweet Charity because of how cleverly the choreography was used in a round space like the Royal Exchange.

On-screen Event of the Year Award: This is a new award, and it came to be as there has been a lot of note-worthy screen events in the year, whether it be shown in cinemas or on TV. And there has been a few gems; unlike Hairspray Live!, Grease Live!, which was shown earlier in the year was a much better venture; and, celebrating the 400th Anniversary of William Shakespeare's death, BBC Shakespeare Live was a real treat, giving insight into his life, while also getting some amazing actors play out some of his most famous scenes. Despite this, I just have to give it to the Miss Saigon 25th Anniversary performance, filmed in 2014, beamed into cinemas in October and made into something not seen in most broadcast musicals - a cinematic experience.

Blew-my-mind Award: I am splitting this one into 3 because they blew my mind for completely different reasons and yet I just adore them all: Les Mis because it's so grand and epic and it's my favourite, In The Heights for being so fresh and the score is just genius (!) and Rocky Horror for just being NUTS and having the most incredible atmosphere I have ever seen in a theatre!

Well, I have to say, that despite all this, I certain hope 2017 is less depressing, 'cause let us all admit that 2016 was just shocking!
Show-wise, my next theatre venture (that I know of) will be Billy Elliot at Mancheter's Palace, expect that late January. Further on, Manchester boasts Funny Girl, Grease, The Addams Family and Thoroughly Modern Millie to name a few, so watch this space.
Maybe I'll get to go to London again, and there is also a possibility of Liverpool (maybe, maybe not, I don't know) as RENT will be playing there.
In the play department, The Play that Goes Wrong will be going on tour, which I am very excited for as it looks hilarious!. Peter Pan Goes Wrong is on TV tonight as well, so I may to a write up of that too,

I hope you all have an amazing New Year, and I will see you in 2017!! =D

Comments