Bless Your Beautiful Hide!

Last year, my housemates had bought me a big box set of "Must See Musicals" for my birthday; ever since then, I have now seen only around half of them, but it was better than when I got it - back then, I had only seen one of them on stage, not on film. Right now, here's what I have seen, as well as the one I saw today that I am about to review for you: Meet Me In St Louis, Easter Parade, Annie Get Your Gun, Singin' In The Rain, Calamity Jane and Gypsy
The film that I am going to talk about today was made in 1954, with direction by Stanley Doran and songs by Saul Chaplin, Gene de Paul and Johnny Mercer. It was based on Stephen Vincent Benet's short story "Sobbin' Women", which in turn was based off the Roman legend "The Rape of the Sabine Women". A story based on a story of rape, that had subsequently won an Oscar for Best Music in 1954, nominated for 4 others (including Best Picture) and became No. 21 on AFI's Best Musical Films list?! What could it be? Well it is one that hopefully you've heard of: Seven Brides for Seven Brothers!

Set in Oregon in 1850 and starring Jane Powell and Howard Keel, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers tells the story of Adam Pontipee and his young wife Milly. Adam spots Milly and decides he wants her to be his wife; amazingly, she agrees and comes back to his house and finds out two things. One, that Adam has 6 other brothers, and two, that they do not know a single thing about women! Though living with seven men wasn't what she expected, Milly becomes determined to whip the brothers into shape and teach them about courtship so they can get wives of their own. The only problem is her own husband who needs a bit more work....

It sounds a funny concept, and believe you me, there are some hilarious moments. Some of those include the brothers acting like pigs, Milly and Adam accidentally breaking the bed, the dance scene between the brothers and the boyfriends of the girls they like (which also had fantastic choreography), the brothers acting like lovesick puppies, and last but not least, the ending. I obviously won't spoil it, but that ending was one of the funniest I have seen in ages!

Does this mean that Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is an amazing film? Not really to be honest. This is only my opinion of course, but I have seen better-made films, and better-made musical films at that. Nevertheless, it is definitely worth a watch if you want something to make you smile and laugh - you cannot help but laugh at the silliness of the brothers and admire Milly for even attempting to whip them into shape!

Before, I leave, I just want to bring up one more thing related to the film. Whatever the circumstances, IT IS NOT OK TO KIDNAP WOMEN!!!! That is all =P

Comments