Review: Kathy & Stella Solve A Murder!, at the Ambassadors Theatre, London

Hello people! All you lovely... readers! Thanks for joining me again on my list of shows I was able to see on my most recent trip to London's West End. Similarly to another couple of picks of mine this week, this is completely a original musical. It's not based off a book or a film or other piece of media. And don't get me wrong, I have three adaptions coming up: but it's nice to see a new work that is 100% original for once!

This one was probably the most fun one I had seen on my whole trip: Kathy & Stella Solve A Murder!

At the time of writing, has only just had its press night, as it's original plan was interrupted by a mid-show flood at the Ambassador's Theatre! 

After two successful runs in Edinburgh and small UK Tour, this murder mystery comedy is running in the West End 

The show centres on two childhood best friends, Kathy and Stella, who have their own true crime podcast, which they record from Kathy's Mum's garage. However, after their favourite author gets murdered, they become involved in the case themselves, as two of the last people to see her alive...! And, they try to solve the case themselves - can they do it? 

I said earlier that this show was probably the one I saw which was the most fun: and that is mainly down to the writing. John Britton's book and lyrics (which he shares with score-writer Matthew Floyd-Jones) are utterly hilarious. There were several times when I was laughing out loud, from the very first song, to the over-the-top final climax (no spoilers, dw). 

But it's not all comedy, as the humour balances out great sensitivity when focusing in on the heart of the show: Kathy & Stella's friendship. The show is a celebration of that kind of friendship: the kind in which you find your fellow weirdo who accepts you no matter what, who embraces all the weird parts of yourself. 

What makes it even more endearing is that these characters are all so kooky in their own way 

(Well, maybe not Sue, the police officer at her wits end when it comes to the girls, but close enough...). This is a small cast, only seven people on stage, most of whom playing more than one part. They each get their time to shine: but this show rests on BrontĂ© BarbĂ© (Newsies) as Kathy, and Rebekah Hinds (Oklahoma) as Stella. These two have been with the show since the very beginning - it shows. Their relationship shines on stage; and when things to get a little bit rocky, you feel for them and want to see them make up. 

Both of them play these girls with so much heart; I guarantee that there is one quality or quirk that one of them has that will relate to you. And (this goes to all the cast actually), I'd like to highlight the accent work. Getting a Yorkshire accent right (the show is set near Hull) is not easily - with Standing at the Sky's Edge nailing it too, I feel like I've hit the jackpot this week! 

I'd also like to highlight the three understudies we had on the afternoon I saw it: Jennifer Caldwell (SIX) as Sue, Chelsea Hall as Erica, and Sorelle Marsh as Felicia - all excellent. 

If you want something new, funny and a little bit goofy with heart, then Kathy & Stella is the perfect choice 

I am so happy that this show is doing so well, and is garnering a small fan base, especially as a new British musical. I was sad I wasn't able to see its run in Manchester when it toured, so was very happy to see it again here. 

Having a West End run, Kathy & Stella will be eligible for Oliviers next year - along with another two other pieces I saw at the end of my trip, it shall be interesting to see, come February, whether or not Olivier nominators and voters have decided to click Subscribe!

Oh and one more thing: thank you to the team at the Ambassadors, for upgrading my seat to (almost) the very back row, to the centre of the 2nd row in the circle! Get in!!!

Comments