Review: Northanger Abbey, at the Octagon Theatre, Bolton

The last time I was at Bolton's Octagon, it was to see the excellent The Book Thief, which you will be happy to hear is gaining traction after another very successful run in Leicester. This time, it was for an adaptation of another literary classic: Northanger Abbey, written of course by Jane Austen. 

Zoe Cooper's adaptation finished its run over the weekend (working 4 wedding shifts in a row this week means this is on the later side...), and will be moving on to the Stephen Joseph Theatre in Scarborough and Theatre by the Lake in Keswick (now that's a theatre on my bucket list). It also played a run at the Orange Tree Theatre before it's stop in Bolton. 

If you're not familiar with the book, it follows Catherine Morland, who loves reading more than anything. She aims to be the heroine she finds in one of her favourite novels, wanting "much more than this provincial life". Her wealthy neighbours allow her to come with them to the Winter Season in Bath, full of balls, socials and other activities. Catherine comes to realise though that the real world is not what the "heroines in training" in the books make it out to be, and her fantasies start to damage the relationships of those around her. 

If there is one thing I would say about this production, it's that it is surprising in its writing. 

Now, I have to admit, I did not know the book at all before coming into this, but my parents had. They're not Austen-ites, but they were surprised to find a lot had been taken out, more than you would perhaps expect. I thought that despite the better second half, the ending felt a bit rushed, and that likely alludes as to why. 

There is also a big interpretation from the book which throws up a few questions. I've seen some people refer to this as "Fanfiction Northanger Abbey" - now, I am the first to admit, I love a bit of Fanfiction, but never heard of it in a theatrical context before. Again, I have not read the book and am only commenting on the piece as it is; but I'm not sure it was pulled off as naturally as it intended to be. Fanfiction works best when it feels right and natural for the characters you're writing about after all. 


This adaptation is also a three-handler. And while performed very well from the three actors on stage covering every part, I think it would have benefitted from one more person in the cast, preferably male-identifying. 

I love small casts, but this one got a bit too confusing. There was a couple of instances where one character was being played, quite literally, through passing coats, hats and other bits of costume from one actor to another, one minute to the next, and it sometimes got confusing where it needn't be. An extra actor would have easily sold this. 

I seem to be giving the impression that I didn't enjoy this one - far from it 

Despite my opinion thinking it could do with some tweaks, I did enjoy Catherine's story; and the performances from Rebecca Banatvala as Cath, with Ak Golding and Sam Newton playing every other part with a flurry of costume changes. 

If you have plans to see Northanger Abbey in either Scarborough or Keswick, I would say enjoy it, but be aware that it doesn't remain as faithful to the source material as you would expect. Whether it works or not for you is purely a personal thing, but it is definitely something to bear in mind. 

Comments