Review: Edward Scissorhands, UK Tour, at the Lowry, Salford

Since this Summer, I have been volunteering at the Lowry theatre in Salford; I've now done all my shadowing shifts and got my purple jumper. I made myself a rule when I started there that I would not write about any shows I worked on. Instead, I had to be seeing it as a paying customer. This is the first time I've done that at the Lowry since I started. 

And in a way it is kind of melancholy. While my first volunteering shadow shift was for Matthew Bourne's Romeo & Juliet, this is about another of his company's New Adventures works: Edward Scissorhands, based on the 1990 Tim Burton film starring Jonny Depp, having first premiered in 2014. 

This is in fact the first pure dance show I have written about too 

I have also seen New Adventures' The Red Shoes, and with that in mind, I was really excited to see this beloved classic from one of my favourite directors come to life. 

Making stories come to life on stage is not easy - but doing it without speaking? Without singing? With only movement? That's really difficult. And it's something that the New Adventures company shines at. Yes of course it helps if you know the source material (I hadn't seen the film for a couple of years and so forgot a couple of bits and pieces); but the fun is seeing how the source material is translated into dance. 

And it's pretty close to the film 

For those who don't know, Edward is an artificially created human, made by a scientist living in a castle on a dark hill. Sadly, his creator dies before he can finish Edward, leaving him with scissors for hands. 

Leaving his castle sanctuary, Edward ventures out to picture-perfect 50s American town Hope Springs, where he meets the Boggs family. 

While they kindly take him in, and Edward gets a crush on daughter Kim, the rest of the community is more sceptical, especially Kim's green-eyed jerk of a boyfriend. 

The thing here is the storytelling. And this company tell the story very well

Every performer is an athlete, performing not just balletic movements, but also some contemporary and styles of dance you would expect from the 50s in there; bits of jive, lindy hop and rock & roll. It's no wonder many roles are shared in the company. And especially the case for Edward himself. 

Just like in the film, Edward is a character you want to protect at all costs. You feel for him from the get go, and his big moments are pretty emotional. Stephen Murray did an amazing job bringing his vulnerability to life; and he had amazing chemistry with Jade Copas (who played Kim Boggs). 

Nicole Kabera also deserves a mention I feel playing Joyce Monroe. Who knew someone can make antics with a washing machine funny!

What I believe really brings it all together to make an amazing dancing spectacle is the score composed by Terry Davies and the one and only Danny Elfman 

It truly is the score that makes this piece come alive. Take for example the classic ice angel scene - beautiful by itself with Edward & Kim dancing together in the shredded ice falling like fresh snow - but add in the iconic music with that choir and it becomes pure transcendent magic. 

Speaking of magic, the magic of this story is that Edward Scissorhands is ultimately a story of love and acceptance; that is if you cut away (hehe) at the plastic-looking Barbie town, coiffed hair and garden bushes. 

And sadly, acceptance stories still seem to be as relevant today as they ever have been

It's no secret Matthew Bourne has elevated ballet to become something more accessible, new and exciting. If you are new to dance, I think this can be amazing choice to see, especially if you are a fan of the film, or other Tim Burton works. 

Edward Scissorhands has finished its Salford run, but it is about to start a Christmas run at Sadler's Wells in London. If you are looking for an alternative to panto or similar, this could be a good shout, especially for families with older kids. 

Comments