Review: The Spongebob Musical, UK Tour, at the Opera House, Manchester

"Are you ready kids?"

"Aye Aye Captain!"

"I can't hear you!" 

"AYE AYE CAPTAIN!" "OOOOOOOOH!!!!!" 

Sorry, couldn't resist it. How else are we to kick off a piece on The Spongebob Musical

Yes, you read that right. I have bitten the bullet, swallowed my pride, and got a (admittedly cheap) ticket to see The Spongebob Musical. 

Ever since Spongebob Squarepants, Patrick Star, Sandy Cheeks, Squidward Q Tentacles, Krusty Krab and more graced our screens in 1999 (!!), and still going, they have become a fixture in many a living room. And after many episodes, a couple of films (the 2004 one I remember watching a LOT back in the day), and ALL the merchandise, Spongebob and co made their stage debut in 2017, then got a LOT of Tony nominations in 2018. Ultimately the Tony voters went with the "F*** Popularity" approach and made The Bands Visit the big winner instead. The Spongebob Musical closed after a run of around 300 performances. 

I have to admit, I was extremely sceptical. Right up to making a decision to get a ticket to be honest. In the end, it was my colleague procliaming to our office she had bought me a ticket the night before I saw it that convinced me; at the very least, we could compare notes. 

So, what does The Spongebob Musical have to offer?

In what could be an extended episode, Bikini Bottom is in danger from a volcano about to erupt. Can Spongebob and his friends save the town, and truly make it the Best Day Ever

In a way, the charm about The Spongebob Musical, is that it is unapologetic about what it is: a silly adventure for kids. The book is definitely not the strongest, and there are plenty of things in it that you would question being too far for even film logic. 

The songs don't always meld well with the book either, though that could be from having multiple writers contribute a song rather than it having a single composer/lyricist. Artists such as Sarah Bareilles, Cyndi Lauper, Panic at the Disco, Plain White Ts, and even the one and only David Bowie have writing credits to the sponge. 

But similar to shows like We Will Rock You, and Bat Out Of Hell, you don't go for the story itself.

 You go for the characters, and the undersea world of Bikini Bottom that the fans have grown to love. 

This show splashes camp colour everywhere, from the costumes (which are pretty on point to the show in all honesty), to the lighting and sets. And this is perhaps the surprising creativity of the show. It's definitely not high end, sure, (in fact, I would say definitely cheap if it had been any other show) but at the same time, it does have its moments. The volcano being made out of plastic bottles for one. 

And Spongebob's big song, Not A Simple Sponge, had this almost shadow-puppetry effect with sponges creating various shapes was inventive and very imaginative for the audience. It got me saying at that moment "Oh that's cool" out loud - and I am a recently-turned 31 year old, I can only imagine the fun it invokes for a child. 

The Spongebob Musical is of course, funny, as you would expect - but it's not in the book as such. The funniest moments for me actually come in the sound effects for when certain characters. Namely Mr Krabbs, his daughter Pearl, and especially Squidward. 

I feel this is a good time to talk about these characters. And while I have Squidward on the brain, I'd like to start with him: 

Because Tom Read-Wilson surprised me. 

I did not know Read-Wilson was musical theatre-trained! The pessimistic Squidward really suited him; not the biggest part, but he got his moments. And his costume was fantastic, especially with the 4 legs. He's sharing the part with Gareth Gates throughout the tour.

From one surprise, to another that turned out to be no surprise whatsoever: Divina de Campo (Hedwig & the Angry Inch) knocked the villainous Plankton out of the park. This kind of villainy, almost panto-level, is of course perfect for a drag queen, and though Plankton technically isn't in drag this time, she got to bring all her charisma and energy to the part. (Actually now I think about it, this could have been a Rusical right...?)

Chrissie Bhima proved why she is such a rising talent, playing the feisty Sandy Cheeks, but Lewis Cornay is also one to watch. He got Spongebob's bouncing optimism and innocence perfectly - and also, his voice! Trying to make a believeable impression of Tom Kenny's voicework is not easy, but Cornay did it brilliantly! 

So what would I say is the outcome of The Spongebob Musical compared to my admittedly low expectations? 

Well, I will be honest, I am in the mindset of "I've seen it, but I am no rush to see it again" 

Better or worse than expected? I would say better - but I think that is through appreciating it knows what it is, plays on it, and doesn't apologise for it one bit. I think if I had held any higher expectations, I would be disappointed. 

Kids will of course eat this up - and I think you will get the most enjoyment out of it with them. Die-hard Spongebob fans too will have probably already bought tickets, and there are bits and pieces for all fans including casual ones like myself to enjoy. Not as many direct references to the show as I thought though. 

I will say though this is not for everyone. And if you are not a fan of the show, or don't know what you'll be letting yourself in for, I would advise giving this one a miss. 

Not quite a miss-fire as such; definitely not perfect, especially as there were sound issues on the night, but Spongebob in his eternal optimism would still class it as the Best Day Ever

Comments