Review: Death Drop: Back in the Habit, UK Tour, at the Opera House, Manchester

Two years ago, Manchester audiences were given Death Drop, a camp murder mystery, made with the aim to help bring drag to wider audiences. 

Now Tuckshop's follow up, Death Drop: Back in the Habit, has come to the city, this time dubbed as "The Sound of Music meets Scream" 

The result is definitely camp, has its laughs... and a mock slasher fest 

Father Alfie Romeo is sent to the convent of St Babs - rumour is, things are not all as they seem. 

Just as the original hosted drag royalty, so does this production, as it brings Drag Race UK favourites Cheryl Hole and Victoria Scone, as well as drag king LoUis CYfer direct from the West End run. As well as Kitty Scott-Claus, and the one and only Jujubee joining the company. That is one hell of a group. 

As you would expect, their performances are hilarious 

But what lets it down for me is the script. Let's just say... this is not for the easily offended. 

I have to compare it to the original Death Drop for this point. While the original is a camp Agatha Christie, much more of Back in the Habit relies on crass humour and antics. You expect the swears. You expect the innuendos. I'm fine with both when used well. Some of the gross-out humour in the script however, especially near the end... oh boy, I am so glad I did not take my parents to this one. 

Don't get me wrong though, there were some hilarious moments. Ones that spring out to me were the beginning on Sister Maria JulieAndrews (played by Jujubee) bringing in all the Sound of Music and some Mary Poppins jokes, Kitty Scott-Claus' Sis Titus bringing in the diva Sister Act moment, as well as all the jokes when they were running on the spot. Victoria Scone's posh Mother Superior's monologue about using "our f***ing imaginations" in the 2nd act was priceless.  

One of the biggest laughs though, was completely accidental... 

There was a curtain malfunction at the end of the first act... As the act finished and the curtain dropped for the interval... one of the ends got stuck on something and left the curtain hanging at an odd angle! It took a good 5 minutes for it to be resolved, by which point the audience were crying laughing. 

Back in the Habit is also quite creepy; as much as you would expect from a horror parody. There are a few jump scares, and nods to many a nightmare-fuel source: from Pennywise to Mr Blobby (yes he does count, I was terrified of him as a kid!). Nothing TOO terrifying though, just a jump, maybe a bit of fake blood and then exaggerated hilarity goes on from there. 

Now, here's the question: where does my recommendation lie? What are your final thoughts. 

I have to be honest and say I did not enjoy this as much as either I thought I would, or as much as I did enjoy the original Death Drop. As said before, if you are easily offended, then I would pass. If you did not enjoy Book of Mormon, I would also definitely pass. If you don't enjoy horror, then it's also best if you skip this one. 

However, if you want to see some big talent take on a camp horror parody and don't mind the line being crossed here and there, then it's completely fair game to try it 

It's cast is the biggest draw here, so if you're fans of them, then of course another excuse to go nuts. My biggest takeaway is that my eyes have seen Cheryl Hole do one of her famous death drops (no pun intended): seen Kitty be a camp cow: and seen Victoria Scone, legend that she is! 

Comments