Review: The Lion King, UK Tour, at the Palace Theatre, Manchester

What hasn't been said about Disney's The Lion King

Its status as a staple in not just animation history, but cinematic history end of (clarifying we're talking the 1994 original here): as well as the stage adaptation becoming a staple of the Great White Way and the West End. 

It's actually one of the best-known Shakespeare adaptations, with it being inspired by Hamlet, with unforgettable characters and songs; and being a essential part of every 90s kid's childhood. 

Like I said, what hasn't been said? But I'm going to try anyway. 

Now, while I have seen this once before, it is the first time I have seen it when I have been given the opportunity to talk about it. The last time I saw The Lion King, I was only 14 years old!! (With Alexia Khadime as Nala!) 

It was my very first West End show; and I am finally seeing it in my hometown.

The main thing about The Lion King is that it is a TRUE theatrical experience, it being one of the staples I recommend to people who haven't been to a musical before, particularly if they're in the West End for the first time, it being a story that EVERYONE knows. 

Young lion cub Simba destined to be the next King of the Pridelands. After his father Mufasa is killed, Simba blames himself for what happened and runs away from his responsibilities. Living the carefree life with friends Timon & Pumba, it's not until his friend Nala finds him that he's called back to fight his tyrannical uncle for his place in the Circle of Life. 

It doesn't feel like a carbon copy of the film put on the stage. Not that this cannot work in some way: My Neighbour Totoro at the Barbican did an excellent job of bringing capturing the magic of the film, but I think The Lion King allows more creativity into being its own beast (if you get my drift). 

Julie Taymor's vision and design truly bring the Disney magic, enchanting children and adults alike 

Anyone who has seen even promotional material for The Lion King can agree that the costumes are stunning. Beyond the costumes themselves, based on many African tribes and their traditional outfits, there's also the masks and the puppetry work involved in many of them, such as Scar's and Mufasa's. Similarly the colourful make up and how it often melts into the costume, Rafiki being the perfect example of this.

There is such imagination into everything this team creates, including into all of the 230 puppets used during the show: from said masks, to smaller models of characters, shadow puppetry and a life-size Timon. 

But if there is anything (else) that The Lion King is known for... 

It is the music 

Circle of Life is one of the best openers in film history. Translating it to stage is no easy task. But from the opening cry from Rafiki of "NANTS INGONYAMA", it only grows in its emotion, getting the audience to feel like they too are in the Pridelands and are a part of the celebrations. I will freely and happily admit this: I cried. In fact, I sobbed

The joy you feel from Lebo M's music based off traditional African beats doesn't end there, giving me the special kind of lift I have only ever found in Church or listening to a Gospel choir: the En'tracte One By One joyfully welcoming us back: the moving-in-so-many-ways Shadowland, Endless Night, and of course, He Lives In You

And that is even before the other Elton John/Tim Rice masterpieces EVERYONE knows. I will say though I Just Can't Wait to be King is a bit of a fever dream... 

Said epic music, is performed by a cast from all over the world, of the highest calibre 

I cannot single out one specific person as such, but would like to highlight 3 talented ladies, all covering the night I saw it: Vuyelwa Laura Tshona for Shenzi, Francesca Thompson for Sarabi, and Bukiwe Zinganto-Mnyuka as Rafiki, this being her professional debut no less! 

If you haven't seen The Lion King before, and you live close to Manchester vicinity, then get your tickets ASAP. 


It has been running at the Palace Theatre since November, and is extending right through until March (a HUGE run for a UK Tour), but tickets will sell out, I will tell you that now! They may be pricey (thanks Disney), but with the work and dedication the team of 150 onstage and off put in to every night, I think it's worth it. Lucky we had my Mum's birthday as the perfect excuse to celebrate!

Hopefully it won't be another 16 years (!!!!!!) till I see it again...! 

I'd like to end it on this though: how odd a coincidence that in 2022, I started the year with one lion, and began 2023 with another... 

Comments