Review: West Side Story

Source: West Side Story (2021) - IMDb
If you had told me that I would be talking about this when I first started writing, I thought you would have gone nuts. And I wouldn't have been the only one. When we heard that one of the most beloved and cherished musicals.. well movie musicals in this case was getting a rehash, I think we as a theatre community had one collective thought: "Err.. why?" 

WHY on Earth would anyone want to re-film West Side Story - a piece that when brought to cinema in 1961, was nominated for 11 OSCARS and won 10; including Best Picture...!

Then we heard it was Steven Spielburg, one of the best directors in Hollywood who has made some of the most beloved cinematic masterpieces ever, taking the helm, the train of thought changed to something like this: 

"Please Spielberg, DON'T SCREW IT UP!!" 

Well ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, I am here to let you know that.... No. He didn't indeed screw it up. In fact, I think he did rather well. 

And so did many others, some saying it's on par or even better than the original! Now I need to get this out of the way. I refuse to compare it to the original - I always think it is better to think of each adaption of its own thing as much as possible, so I will NOT be saying whether it's better, equal or worse. 

Right, now what it is, on it's own right, is a wonderful film. 

Source: West Side Story (2021) - IMDb
We open to a view of New York, of the West Side slums being torn down to make way for new apartments. The Jets grab paint tins through to the side of town inhabited by Puerto Rican settlers - and slops the paint all over their flag that they've plastered proudly on the street; and violence breaks out. 

This is the first time, seeing West Side Story, that you truly see both the danger on the streets and of being in a gang like the Jets or the Sharks, as well as seeing the stakes for these lads. Their homes are being lost, they literally have no place in the world other than the gang. Spielberg treated this like any of his other dramas, really bringing forward the violence, the gentrification of the West Side, the xenophobia and culture clashes between the two communities. 

With that, it has raised the stakes higher than ever before. 

And with that, it didn't really leave, particular in the later half. From the Rumble, until the finale, I was sitting in my seat in a hunched position I didn't realise I was holding until the credits....

But as well as making this Spielberg's own, he pays homage to the 1961 original in some beautiful ways, the most prominent of which bringing back Rita Moreno. In this, Moreno plays Valentina, who takes over from the Doc character fans of the story will know. I won't spoil how her character comes into play, but I loved how her character was written in. 

Source: West Side Story (2021) - IMDb
While it is on my train of thought, the screenplay has had some revisions of the original book by Tony Kushner, and he did a phenomenal job of adding in small details that really fleshed out the characters and gave them their own identities - elaborating further however I feel would potentially cross spoiler territory, or at least surprises territory. 

Apart from one detail, and that is the switching amongst the Puerto Ricans between Spanish and English ("PRACTISE" as Anita would chastise Bernado). There are no subtitles in this point, but I don't feel you need them. In this world, if you don't speak Spanish, you're not meant to understand the Sharks. It's a way to keep their identity in this new environment. 

Now let's move on to the company. There are many good performances in this. Moreno of course, Mike Faist as Riff, Iris Menas as Anybodys, Brian d'Arcy James as Office Krupke. But let's be honest, all anyone is talking about is Rachel Zegler as Maria, and Ariana DeBose (Schmigadoon!, The Prom) as Anita. 

Zegler first of all is making her film debut with this - wow! Her voice is crystal clear, her Maria was innocent and hopeful but determined to carve her own identity. I have heard a lot of people call her a Maria for today and I can see why. 

Source: West Side Story (2021) - IMDb
Now DeBose.... Many are calling that she will get an OSCAR nomination for this performance. I hope she does. Anita is my favourite character in West Side Story anyway, and I adored what DeBose brought to the table. Every colour of Anita was on display. The fire and sass, the joy when dancing with Bernado in the gym and on the streets; down to the raw emotion, anguish and a deep bitterness come over in the 3rd act. Her final punchline broke my heart: 

"No soy americana, soy puertorriqueña!" 

She was utterly phenomenal. 

I think I will finish with linking that as DeBose is a true triple-threat, with the dance in this piece. Bernstein's choreography is of course legendary, so the pressure was certainly on for Tony-winning choreographer Justin Peck. It was one of those things that paid homage to the original work, but adding in a depth and earthiness to it that added to the danger, or joy, depending on the number. 

And the best example is definitely America. The legendary number has taken on a whole new lease of life through Peck's choreography and Spielberg's vison. Skirts twirl not on just one rooftop, but all through the streets as Anita brings in her neighbourhood to join in. There is a particular poignant bit when a couple of children came and took the spotlight for a couple of seconds. 

With this America, you could take it as the pre-curser to In The Heights' Carnival Del Barrio! 

(Incidentally, the two films were being filmed not far away from each other at the same time....)

Source: West Side Story (2021) - IMDb
If you haven't seen West Side Story yet, I highly advise you go. I get some of you out there may be skeptical, and if that is the case, see it purely out of curiosity. I don't mind. 

This year, we of course, very sadly, lost Stephen Sondheim, who wrote the lyrics to West Side Story - his big break at just 27 years old. Before he died, it's reported he absolutely loved this adaptation. If it was good enough for a true and literal Giant[s] in the Sky such as Sondheim, it is certainly worth giving it a go. 

The best thing you can do is go in with as open (and curious) a mind as possible. And then (I hope at least), you shouldn't be disappointed. 

Comments