Review: Everybody's Talking About Jamie, UK Tour at the Lowry, Salford

I have definitely missed going to the Lowry - the last time I went there was for SIX in Christmas 2019! And let me tell you this was a perfect show to be welcomed back with: the UK Tour of Everybody's Talking About Jamie. You may remember that I saw the show in the West End a few years ago - but let me tell you, this is one show that I think is better the second time around! 

As I have seen it before, I won't got into as much depth as I have last time; only to emphasize the new team taking on these roles, and to say that the love it has been getting in this time has only gotten strong for a good reason. In fact, it has been adapted into a film, set to released on Amazon Prime any day now! 

In my previous piece, I said "there wasn't really a memorable tune except the opening And You Don't Even Know It". I don't know if it was how it was performance-wise or my brain just wasn't in gear, but I definitely left home with Out Of The Darkness (A Place Where We Belong) in my head. And so did my friends. 

It could have been to do with the calibre of this cast. Layton Williams, reprising his performance he did in London after taking over from John McCrae, is a perfect Jamie. He's the perfect combination of heart, sass and flamboyance; as well as some lovely vulnerability in there too, similar to his work in Hushabye Mountain

The other revelation was definitely Amy Ellen Richardson (Beautiful: The Carole King Musical) as Margaret New. I cannot possibly say whether or not there was a dry eye in the entire theatre after/during her rendition of He's My Boy; but there was a shivering of antici-pation and desperation from the audience to start applauding. Richardson made them, with her voice in tears, to not start until her last note. The reward was well deserved. 

Supporting them was Shobna Gulati returning as Ray, funnier than ever. She will be also returning for the film, as Ray - no one better in my opinion. EastEnders star Shane Ritchie, while maybe not having the greatest singing voice, provided a great mentor for Jamie in Hugo/drag queen Loco Chanelle. 

But the final addition to the company I would like to mention may surprise you. From the moment I heard about it, I had a feeling he'd be good, but no idea how good he would be. 

As bully Dean, George Sampson to me was perfect casting. I remember him during his stint on Waterloo Road, who played a similar (slightly nicer) character - this is celebrity casting done right people. Dean is someone who a lot of people know and you do, by the time Pritti gives him her schpeel at the end, you understand him. Unlike the real villain of the story: Jamie's dad. No wonder people were booing - Father of the Year people. 

Jamie's story may be finishing in Salford tonight (I think), but it will be travelling all across the country, the next stops being Birmingham and Leicester. It's such a joyful and soulful show, you cannot help but feel more uplifted towards the end. 

Oh and don't worry. I have now downloaded the cast recording. Relax. And it will be very interesting to see what the film brings us... hang onto your stilettos and stay tuned folks!

Comments