Review: The Show Must Go On Live!

If there was one saying that defined the theatre community and industry's resilience against Ms Rona it has to be "The Show Must Go On!"

All throughout the lockdown, every streamed concert, every Lambert Jackson Production, every filmed performance pulled out from the vault has proved that even though the physical buildings were unable to open, the magic and passion from audiences was still thriving. 

And no-one could show that passion more than buying some merch from the Theatre Support Fund with this exact quote on, and upload pictures of it all over their Instagram. From the mask to the notebook, mug, and especially the t-shirt! £1 billion had been lost from the theatre industry due to the pandemic, but the same day that The Show Must Go On page opened, it crashed, and raised thousands of pounds for the Theatre Support Fund, Acting For Others, the NHS and other charities. 

Photographer: Johan Persson
WE did that folks! 

And what better way to to say a big "BOOM BABY" Kuzco style as the theatres start to re-open again, with this very talented and dedicated team putting together a mammoth concert featuring a performance from every single show featured on the t-shirt, plus a couple of surprises, and a choir made up of recent Musical Theatre graduates. 

And WHAT a concert! 

I want to mention that every single performance was wonderful in it's own way. And there wasn't one where I didn't think "ooof ouch!". So I'm going to instead point out a few highlights in my eyes. 

The show opened up with a brand new piece, aptly named The Show Must Go On, penned by Stiles & Drewe, and sang by the evening's hosts: Trevor Dion Nicholas (Aladdin) and Squirrel .... oops, sorry, Bonnie Langford (seriously though did you SEE her in The Masked Dancer, she was insane!!). 

..... focus Chaz! Sorry, where was I...? Oh yeah!

 The number set the evening off to a very strong start, poking fun at all the little habits we have picked up during the pandemic; and ultimately celebrating being back in the theatre. It's as Dion-Nicholas said: 

"To say we were unviable was wrong; And just like Dolly Levi, we're back where we belong"

Photographer: Johan Persson
Moving on to the main programme, we were treated to songs from our favourite hits - but not the ones you would always hear. For example, instead of Dancing Queen, we got The Winner Takes It All. Instead of And You Don't Even Know It, we got It's Beautiful.  Instead of Defying Gravity, we got The Wizard and I

While I do admit it was more ballad-centric, I can understand why they did it, as it would have been easier logistically to have 1-person ballads rather than a whole ensemble doing choreo. Plus they were performed so well that it didn't really matter. 

What I loved about this concert is that it gave not just the headliners, but also the understudies and alternates to come into the spotlight and share what they have to a wider audience. The best example of that in my case would perhaps be Marcus Harman who sang For Forever from Dear Evan Hansen. He had a real vulnerability in his voice; and I would be very happy to see him as Evan. A couple of my friends have, and so I can trust them on that. 

Speaking of the headliners though, they brought the house down too. Alice Fearn (I Love You, You're Perfect Now Change) blew Me and the Sky from Come From Away out of the water, Mamma Mia's Mazz Murray nearly brought me to tears in her performance of The Winner Takes it All; and I will never get tired of hearing John Owen-Jones perform Bring Him Home

Photographer: Johan Persson
But just as important as showcasing the covers, it gave an extra reason for theatregoers to get excited, as it showcased the debuts of performers who will be going into certain parts. Kayi Ushe will be going into the role of Simba in The Lion King and he certainly grabbed my attention. We also got another performance from Dion Nicholas himself - usually he plays Hamilton's George Washington, but for one time only, he stepped into King George's shoes and belted out You'll Be Back - fabulous!

Having said that though, the one that truly surprised me was Lucy St Louis, who along with Rhys Whitfield, performed for the first time as Christine Daae from The Phantom of the Opera. Oh my WORD, I'm not sure WHAT it was that came out of her mouth, but it was certainly not what I expected. The significance of that performance as well cannot be overstated, and it made my mind up that I will be supporting this cast and crew who have stayed with Phantom when it reopens. Take note Mr Macintosh - I will be buying a ticket for THEM. NOT for you. 

Photographer: Johan Persson
The night ended with the whole company together, lead by Murray, Owen-Jones, Fearn and Wicked's Laura Pick, with what else? The Show Must Go On - the Queen orginal I should add. Perhaps predictable, but could they have ended on any other song? I say no. 

So while this may seem an excuse for me to gush about everyone on that stage, that's because it is ultimately what this is about. This show is a celebration of the industry that we all love whether it be just as an over-eager fan, or as a profession. Hear that..

"It's not just a Passion, it's a Profession"

I cannot recommend The Show Must Go On Live! enough. You will be able to watch it on The Show Must Go On's YouTube for about a week - it's well worth it. The Show Must Go On! Live | Live Concert | The Shows Must Go On! - YouTube

Oh and perhaps best of all. over £1 million was raised on Sunday night.... That's incredible!!!

As for me, I need to start planning some annual leave so I can book some shows in London...!!!

Comments