Lungs: Old Vic in Camera Review

Will I ever have an experience like this again? Probably not! 

A live-streamed piece of theatre actually LIVE but with no stage lighting or set? Just two actors performing a heart-warming and heart-wrenching script, socially distanced in an otherwise empty theatre. 

Last night, I got my chance to see the Old Vic: In Camera's LIVE showing of Lungs, the 2-handled Duncan Macmillan play starring Matt Smith and Claire Foy. 

Let that sink in a second. 

Matt Smith and Claire Foy (of The Crown, Wolf Hall and Dr Who fame!), performing in an empty theatre.
Socially distanced. 
No set, no lighting. 
As bare as you can possibly get. 
COMPLETELY LIVE.... of course I was going to see this!

Credit: https://www.instagram.com/oldvictheatre/
In Lungs, a young couple struggle with one of life's biggest dilemmas: becoming parents. But the ice caps are melting, there's overpopulation, political unrest; everything's going to hell... why on Earth would someone bring a baby into this world?!

Before I really get going with this, I want to say that I had a bit of fun and games getting the tickets: the queue was VERY long. In fact, I must admit that I think it was longer than the queues for both Hamilton AND Harry Potter and the Cursed Child combined! I must be honest that I prefer the system that Lambert Jackson Productions have: one price for all tickets, but with an opportunity to donate extra as much as you can afford - and being able to not limit themselves to the amount of tickets. 

Anyway, I digress BAAAAACK to the play itself....

Duncan Macmillan's writing makes scenes run seamlessly into each other: the unnamed each other go from laughing to crying instantly, an argument turns into a sex scene, days melt into each other - but it still somehow works and you are able to follow what's happening and get invested with Smith and Foy's chemistry, steaming off the screen.  

Credit: https://www.instagram.com/oldvictheatre/
How did it work being filmed socially distanced? The screen divided into two, similar to The Last Five Years during The Next Ten Minutes (ok, that wasn't live-streamed but you see where I am going with this..?)
One camera was focused on Smith, and the other on Foy and they often crossed between them. It didn't really take anything from the performance, but I admit that I wish they had one extra angle to sometimes cut to that shows a wide shot of the theatre.

Before the play started, you had a brief introduction by director Matthew Warchus, who explained that it was as barely staged as you can get, no scenery and no stage lighting; but you didn't need it - this play is all about Duncan Macmillan's incredible writing laid... well... bare. 

This production ended up getting 4 WhatsOnStage nominations this year, winning one for Claire Foy as Best Actress in a Play - no wonder! 

If you are able to snatch up any remaining tickets, DO!! Especially if you're like me and didn't get a chance to see the main run last year in the flesh. 

You will very likely never have another experience like this. 

Comments