Ditto

It's been a busy week! It's been Easter and Bank Holiday, which I spent with my family in sunny Devon; and we've all been able to geek again as GAME OF THRONES IS BACK, with the theme tune going full blast!! (DW: no spoilers!)

So, because it has been busy, that's why this has taken a little longer to write...

Last week, I was back at the Palace Theatre again, this time for the new tour of Ghost, a show that seems to have been constantly touring the country in the past couple of years, but haven't been able to see until now (or just didn't want to when it was Girls Aloud's Sarah Harding playing Molly).

The musical based on the classic 1990 film has music and lyrics by Dave Stewart and Glen Ballard, with the book by Bruce Joel Rubin, the script writer for the original film. Premiering in Manchester in March 2011 before a London transfer, it originally starred Richard Fleeshman (Company), Caissie Levy and Olivier winning Sharon D Clarke (Caroline or Change).

Like the film, it follows our central couple, Molly Jensen and Sam Wheat, living in NYC. One night, Sam is tragically killed, and is stuck between worlds as a ghost. He soon discovers that Molly is in grave danger, and the only person who can help him is psychic Oda Mae Brown. Cue: "Molly, you in danger girl!"

Possibly the biggest reason why I made sure THIS was the year I saw Ghost, was for Niall Sheehy (Titanic), who had been cast as Sam; so it was JUST MY BLOODY LUCK that I saw him the 1 night he wasn't on! I must admit, my heart and soul were internally sobbing for the first few minutes; but, once I got over that, Sergio Pasquariello (who normally plays Carl) ended up as one of the best things about the show. Both him, and Jacqui DuBois as the funny and eccentric Oda Mae.

As Molly, Rebekah Lowings took a little longer to warm up to. She didn't really get going until after Sam's death (though a lot of her lines in the beginning are rather cheese-tacular). Her big solo With You however is bound to give tingles.
Finally in the main cast was Josh Andrews covering the role of Carl. I wasn't sure about him either at first, but you understood later on that he's just someone who got in a bit too deep.....

I'm going to be honest, it's 100% not the best thing I have seen, but I didn't expect it to be. If you're wanting to be challenged or blown away, maybe pass on this one. But if you're looking for a good old classic, guilty pleasure weepy, then this is perfect. It's finished in Manchester, but has just started in Liverpool, and continues to play across the country.

Comments