I Dreamed A Dream


Last Saturday night, I went to see my absolute favourite show of all time for the 3rd time. Firstly on its last tour in 2010 with my family, then its original production in 2016 with my now-ex, and now back on tour in 2019 with my old friends from school! After sold runs from right when it started in Leicester last year, to its stint and Manchester and beyond, it has also announced it will be returning to Salford next year... Around my birthday too.... Tempting....
Bring out the flags and get ready to storm the barricades, as Les Miserables is back! 

For those who by now don't know the story, it's based off Victor Hugo's novel, spanning at least 20 years across 19th century France and following ex-convict Jean Valjean as he learns love and redemption. 
That's the simplest way to put it - NOW GO SEE IT! At least see the film if you're struggling to get tickets to either the tour, Queens or this new concert version they're doing this summer (errr, with Alfie Boe and John Owen-Jones sharing Valjean, Micheal Ball (Chess, Mack and Mabel) as Javert, Carrie Hope Fletcher (Heathers, The Addams Family) as Fantine, Matt Lucas as Thenardier, Katy Secombe (who I saw last time) as Madame T…! Mr Mackintosh you do like to tease us don't you!). Sorry, I do get quite giddy when talking about this show...... 

Onto the "new production" as it's said 50 million times in the marketing, which has been called "Les Mis for the 21st century" by the Huffington Post. The main differences I would say between this and the original are a) no revolve, b) this one seems grittier than the original and c) the set and backgrounds are based on sketches by Hugo himself - and they are stunning to look at. 

Ok, before I get into the great stuff, I'd like to get into the stuff that didn't really work for me. I wasn't fully convinced by Marius and Cosette (played by Harry Apps and Bronwen Hansen). I understand Apps won the role in an open audition and good for him, plus his Empty Chairs At Empty Tables was decent. But he was a bit too hyper-lovesick puppy for me. I felt he and Hansen could have had a bit more chemistry for me too. It just seemed all a little bit TOO awkward teenagers. Tegan Bannister's Eponine wasn't missing much this time. Plenty of other fishes in the sea girl!

Second is actually with the programme - there's no bios for the children in the cast!!! (And this is where the bad stuff stops!)

Still, that does not stop me from mentioning little Charlie Hagen as Gavroche. He stole every scene he was in, especially when he was with Javert (played by Nic Greenshields, Oklahoma). He even gave Javert the middle finger as he was ratting the uptight policeman out to Enjolras (Will Richardson) and the other students. 
Speaking of laughs, Martin Ball and Helen Aylott (u/s) provided plenty as the scheming Thénardiers. It's great acting by Ball especially, as after having met him at stage door on his last night in Wicked, I can safety say he is the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of Thénardier! 

As the main man, Killian Donnelly was a very different Valjean to the ones I had seen before (John Owen-Jones and Peter Lockyer), especially vocally (as you can hear hints of Charlie Price and Huey Calhoun coming through), but it didn't matter one bit! He did the transition from bitter convict to kind father-figure to Cosette extremely well.

But not even he can have the starring moment, because there is one person I haven't talked about yet, but have saved till last.

When I booked the show, I had already decided on "I Dreamed A Dream" for the title of this review - THANK GOD I did, because the extraordinary Katie Hall blew me away!

Hall was my very first Cosette (as well as my first Christine Daae) and I was really interested to see how she would take Fantine. As a soprano through and through, this was Hall's first major role where she would have to belt and use the LOWER parts of her register (have you heard that low G♭?!). I needn't have been concerned at all though, as she was vocally stunning and crystal clear - and her I Dreamed A Dream was THAT close to making me cry; you all know just how hard it is for a show to start the waterworks. 

Her range of emotion throughout her entire story from naiveté and sadness, to heartbreak, love, anger, bitterness and even sarcasm; all the while not losing an ounce of devotion to her daughter wane and having a constant inner strength, was the closest to BEING Fantine rather than just playing her. She was already my favourite Cosette, but I can safely say she is the best Fantine I have seen on stage so far...….

Like I said, the Manchester run is sold out, and so is the Liverpool run from what I understand. If it is coming to a city near you, I would strongly recommend getting a ticket - if you can.
Sure, this version isn't perfect, but it still has is epic sweeping score that sends chills up and down your spine. I'm in the very lucky position to be going again in a few weeks, this time with my Mum and Dad - they haven't seen it for 8 years after all!

The reason the show is my favourite is that it is the show that I always come back to. Everyone has a character they relate to, or a character they (strangely) wish to be - for me, it's Eponine and Fantine. I will HAPPILY play either of these strong, beautiful ladies when I eventually start doing Am-Dram. 

The songs are also timeless, and there is always at least 1 that people will recognise and then (or already) sing in the shower - for me it's I Dreamed A Dream as I'm currently doing it in my singing lessons. 

I don't know what else to say other than TRY to see it. If you're in the Greater Manchester area, booking for the Salford run opens fairly soon... Good luck and happy booking!! 

Comments