Springtime For Hitler!

Happy New Year! Can you still say that, I don't know but who cares, it's my first show of 2019 - and we're starting off at Manchester's Royal Exchange for their winter 2018/19 show, Mel Brooks' The Producers.

You may remember, I have seen it before, when it was touring a few years ago, starring Jason Manford, Phil Jupitus and Louis Spence; but this was the Royal Exchange, and with their winning streak, I knew I had to see this again - plus my family hadn't seen it before so I wanted to take them. I will say right off the bat, it was fun watching their faces (my brother's in particular as I was next to him), realising just how funny, camp, and especially rude this piece is.

For those who are new to the story, it follows, Broadway producer Max Bialystock (Julius D'Silva) and accountant Leo Bloom (Stuart Neal) as they attempt to put on the biggest flop in Broadway history: with the worst play, worst director and worst actors in the industry.
What could possibly go wrong...?

The gags still come thick and fast, though you could argue it's a tad dated with how Ulla (the Scandinavian receptionist) is written in a post Me Too era. Thankfully, this is no disservice to Emily-Mae's performance of the character and her powerful delivery of When You've Got It, Flaunt It, especially right after the over-the-top Keep It Gay.

D'Silva and Neal were enjoyable as the enjoyable producers, but the ones who stole the show were Charles Brunton and Hammed Animashaun as director Rodger de Bris and his assistant Carmen Ghia. With Animashaun in particular, I couldn't stop giggling at everything he does, from the way he moved his hands to his fabulous shuffle-walk showing Leo and Max in (you'll understand what I mean if you see it/have already seen it). Both incredibly camp, both in Keep It Gay and in Springtime For Hitler. They're also just as mad as you would expect and make the best use of the "in the round" space.

If you think this is up your street and want something to take away the January blues and/or the political malarkey, this is a good pick.

Comments