If I Could Talk To The Animals....?!

Another year gone; but there's still time for one more show - as the now traditional family show for my Mum's birthday (it's the 3rd January), we went along as a family to the Lowry to catch Leslie Bricusse's Doctor Dolittle: The Musical.

I must admit, other than him being a man who can talk to animals, I don't know a thing about the Dr Dolittle universe, whereas my parents did, so this is just going to be taking the show as it is, and not comparing it to any other material.

The story follows the titular Doctor and his friends, 2-legged and 4-legged alike, as they set out on an adventure in search of the legendary Great Pink Sea Snail, who holds the secret to eternal life.
To be honest, add in some intergalactic elements and make the story a bit darker, it could make a great Dr Who episode.... Anywho, I digrees XD

I will mention off the bat that if you have young children, they will lap this up. It's a good alternative if you don't fancy panto (if you haven't gone already). There were plenty of young children in the audience when I went to see it.

Playing the Doctor himself was Mark Williams - now we're big Williams fans in our house, not just for his work in Harry Potter, but also as Father Brown (if you haven't seen it, it's about a Catholoc priest solving murder mysteries in his parish - and it's very good. I digress again). I'll admit, his singing voice wasn't the best, but then again Rex Harrison couldn't exactly sing either in the film version. As the character, he was terrific, especially reacting to all the puppet animals.

Speaking of which, the puppetry was the best part about the show. Like War Horse and Little Shop of Horrors, you didn't realise the puppeteers were even there: you saw a pig, a dog, a monkey. Puppet designer Nick Barnes had previously designed for the opening ceremony for 2012 London Olympic Games - and his talent shows!
Though if there were two that really stood out, the it would be Polynesia the Parrot (voiced by Vicky Entwistle, excellent) and the Pushmi-Pullyu. THE WHAT I hear you say? Well the Pushmi-Pullyu is essentially a two-headed llama; and there is one scene in particular in the circus when it plays the piano, skips and dances. So well done for puppeteers Ross Meagrow and Evan James for bringing it to life.

A final word for me need to go to Tom Piper's set and costumes designs, particularly the costumes. All white for the puppeteers helps them blend in, while I also adored the circus outfits.

Like I said, if you have a family, or young at heart, they will really enjoy this. It may not be the best thing I've seen this year, but it almost felt like a big hug after the end of 2018 saying "There, there, it's ok".

Comments