Did I Do My Job Right Mitch?

Following on from my spout of London theatre I have seen recently, it has been great to finally see something again up North, which I haven't done since Titanic in May! Thankfully the autumn programme looks much better up here than the summer one did - and it is starting with The Comedy About A Bank Robbery, Mischief Theatre's 3rd outing following The Play That Goes Wrong and Peter Pan Goes Wrong (and A Christmas Carol Goes Wrong that they did for BBC1 last Xmas), which has just finished a run at Salford's Lowry.

This time, The Comedy About A Bank Robbery follows a group of colourful characters in 1958 Minneapolis (such as the jailbreaker Mitch, prison guard Cooper, the petty thief Sam, Mitch's ex Caprice and many more) as they either try and rob a priceless diamond, or work for the bank trying to protect it.

It's actually very different from their previous works, as it relies less on the slapstick (but don't get me wrong, it is still there, this is Mischief after all), and instead is more a classic 1950s comic farce; and if you know me well enough by now, you know I'm not the biggest fan of farces. However, this was a surprise change, as Mischief managed to add something most farces, I feel, don't seem to have - a proper story and characters you can relate to. And it is just as funny as their previous entries.

I don't want to give too much away, as you need to see it for yourselves. I do want to mention though two things: watch out for Seán Carey as Sam, and there was one moment when my parent's eyes were almost out of their sockets (you'll find out which bit I mean when you see it). Guaranteed more than a laugh or two, it is the perfect thing to cheer you up during this miserable September weather.

Comments