Who Could Ask For Anything More?

Last night, I had a little fix of Gershwin, catching the new production of Crazy For You that is touring the UK, and currently playing at the Manchester's Opera House. Set in the 30s, the story follows Bobby Child, as he tries to save his sweetheart's theatre from being re-possessed by the bank.

Originally called Girl Crazy, it played on Broadway in 1930 and starred a young Ethel Merman and Ginger Rodgers. Renamed Crazy For You in the 90s, it made most of being able to use more repertoire from the Gershwin Brothers. It garnered great critical acclaim, ran for 5 years and garnered 3 Tonys in 1992.
This production originally ran at the Watermill Theatre, and is an actor-musician production (like a lot of their shows seem to be nowadays); their production of Calamity Jane recently had a very successful tour. I will say firstly, while I mentioned it, that the actor-musician cast is incredibly talented!

So, all looks good right? Well, I should probably now bring in it's biggest problem. As you can imagine, its aim is really to celebrate the Gershwin Bros amazing music, such as Someone To Watch Over Me, Embraceable You and Slap That Bass among many more - and it is not the only music doing this recently. Nice Work If You Can Get It is an example of this, as is An American In Paris, which has done amazingly well on both sides of the Atlantic. As you can imagine therefore if it is really to celebrate the music, the story is fitted around the songs - and that is the problem. It doesn't flow well as it feels like it is rushing to the next big hit. Plus, the plot is as thin as a piece of tissue paper. Sounds harsh, but seriously, there's nothing there.

It's not all bad news though. The show stars former Strictly champion Tom Chambers as well as Charlotte Wakefield (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Oklahoma), and despite there being not much there, they make the best of what they've got, and give a really fun performance. Both are fantastic dancers and Chambers does give some laughs to the show.

However, I am going to compare this for a minute to another show where I thought the plot was a bit on the bare side - Thoroughly Modern Millie. In Millie, it was a bit of a flapper (as I said in my original review), you cared about the characters, and it was a load of fun. Crazy For You just seemed a bit bland in comparison.

It seems like I have hit a bit of a dud. Everyone finds a show that just isn't for them, and this is obviously mine. It hasn't put me of Gershwin shows AT ALL (no-one can deny their music is incredible; in fact, I may well end up doing it in my singing lessons, it's right in my range); but it doesn't make up for the very weak plot for me.

Comments