Easy Streeeet!

So for the last time this summer, I popped on down to the West End in London, this time with some friends from school (and made an amazing weekend of it!). Funnily enough, this might be the first time I have (effectively) reviewed properly the same production twice, as I saw the transfer of Nikolai Foster's production of Annie, which I caught on its UK tour in 2015. It is now currently playing to packed houses at the Piccadilly Theatre, just next to Piccadilly Circus (a theatre I have not been to before, and (unlike Half A Sixpence, Aladdin and Lady Day at Emerson's Bar and Grill) not owned by Cameron Mackintosh).

I am not going to go into the background this time, as I already did that in my first review of the show, this time, looking into the differences made this time around, the biggest of which being a new team of kids, and a brand new Miss Hannigan.

Last time, I caught the fab-u-lous Craig Revel-Horwood as the tyrannical owner of the orphanage, and he was fantastic (in fact, he will be playing the part again in a few weeks time). Miranda Hart was brilliant in a completely different way. Having everything crossed that she had recovered from her illness, and thankfully everything must have been smiling on us, as she made it. Receiving a HUGE cheer on her first entrance just before Hard Knock Life, her Hannigan was brash, loud, very drunk, and clearly someone who hasn't had anything in a long time... (haha) If I have to nit-pick, her accent was a little bit off, but I honestly didn't really care, as she was so hilarious. It was impossible not to be drawn to her, even during Easy Street alongside a threatening Rooster and Lily (Jonny Fines and Djalenga Scott reprising their roles from the tour). To sum it up, just after her entrance, she accidentally slipped and fell over. Well, she got up and said "It's great to be back at the theatre". Yes Miranda it certainly is.

As for the new team of kids I mentioned, they had so much energy it was insane! I wasn't sure where they got it from but it came through so well on stage! As for Annie herself, Madeline Haynes was a great and likeable Annie, with a lot of charisma and heart, and her scenes with the adorable Amber (the dog who played Sandy) were so cute.

Like Fines and Scott, we also had Alex Bourne and Holly Dale Spencer reprising their roles as Daddy Warbucks and Grace Farrell respectively, and they were both really enjoyable, particularly Bourne as he warms up to the red-headed orphan. I also have to give a mention to Bobby Delany, who played Bert Healey as well a few other characters, one of which being an hilarious turn as President Roosevelt's advisors.

It may be a strange one to end on, but I also have to mention we got fantastic seats. I must admit, I don't normally go for the stalls, but we did this time, right in the middle of them, and it was a fantastic view (see picture on the right - it was before the show started dw).

I'm sure if you are off to see Annie you will have a blast! You cannot have fun at this classic musical, with a rags to riches story. Plus it is a fantastic choice to take the kids too, and perfect if you're a Miranda fan (make sure though you check the dates before she leaves). It was the perfect end to quite a stagey week (as I also caught the tour of Funny Girl again earlier this week). Whether you are young or old, you are guaranteed to have a fantastic time.

Comments