God Bless The Child

I witnessed a legend yesterday. There's no other way to describe that. As one of the biggest Broadway stars at the moment, making her West End debut this year (it was meant to be last year, but the unexpected pregnancy of her second child popped up), Audra McDonald has landed with the show she won her record-breaking 6th Tony (!) for, Lady Day at Emerson's Bar and Grill, Lanie Robertson's musical play, with McDonald playing Lady Day herself, Billie Holiday, one of the greatest jazz singers of all time.

Set in, as the title suggests, Emerson's Bar and Grill in Philadelphia in 1959, a few months before Holiday died (tragically of liver and heart failure aged just 44), the play was based on a gig Holiday performed, which was attended by a boyfriend of Robertson at the time. It was premiered on Broadway in 2014, winning Best Sound Design of a Play, as well as, of course, a Leading Actress in a Play win for McDonald. As I said, it was Tony no. 6 for McDonald, making her the first actress to do so (let's put this into perspective, the great Angela Lansbury only has 5....), and also making her the first person to win in all 4 acting categories.

It is essentially a one-woman show, and while I will get on to Ms McDonald shortly, I first of all want to mention her band, consisting of Sheldon Becton on piano, Frankie Tantoh on drums and Neville Malcolm on bass. Just like a real gig, they played a few tunes to warm up the audience and are truly fantastic musicians.
Another side note I have to mention is Christopher Oram, the set designer, and his achievement of transforming the Wyndham's Theatre into Emerson's Bar and Grill, with small bar tables in the front of the stalls, and on the stage itself. It's an inspired choice to bring the audience right next to the legend, and if you have the money to pay for one of those seats, go for it, as they will be worth it.

And now onto Audra McDonald herself. While I was writing my notes, I was struggling to try and put her performance into words, and in a way, I am still struggling. I might start vocally though. For those of you who are familiar with her operatic soprano, be it from her performances in Carousel, Porgy and Bess, or even as Garderobe the opera-singer-turned-wardrobe in Beauty and the Beast, be prepared for a bit of a shock - McDonald has done a complete 180 with her voice, so much so in fact, she sounds exactly like Holiday herself! It's actually kinda scary......

That was the easy bit. The hard bit is getting across her performance emotionally. Holiday did not have an easy life, and telling some stories in-between her songs, some are not an easy listen (though there are some good ones too, one in particular set in a restaurant kitchen is absolutely hilarious (dw, no spoilers)!).
But I think the best way to describe it was that my heart somehow ended up bleeding on the theatre floor. Whether she grabbed it and ripped it out or it decided to jump ship, I'm not sure; but I am sure it has only just returned to me, after crawling back from London all the way up north. I am pretty sure it also started crying while it was down there, as it is impossible to not be moved at the sight of one of the greatest singers of the 20th century was being treated at the end of her life.

Currently playing at the Wyndham's Theatre (another theatre owned by Cameron Mackintosh, ironically the 3rd of his shows I have seen this year, after Half A Sixpence in May (playing a the Noel Coward right next door to the Wyndham's) and Aladdin in June).... I'm rambling, sorry guys, let's try again...

Currently playing at the Wyndham's Theatre, this is definitely a must for fans of jazz music, as this is the closest you will probably get to seeing the real Lady Day.
If you are a fan of Audra McDonald and have been waiting to see her do her thing, then this is also a must watch. I warn you all again, it is not an easy watch, but a lot of the best performances aren't. I am sensing an Olivier nomination here..... There. I said it. Let's see what happens shall we...

Oh I almost forgot, you also only have until 9th September to see this gut-wrenching performance.

Comments