Gimme Gimme!

I am finally ready to type this up!! After a very busy weekend at work, last Friday, I had a chance to catch the new touring production of Thoroughly Modern Millie, which is based on the 1967 film of the same name, starring the one and only Julie Andrews.
Winning an Oscar for its score, it was adapted for the Broadway stage in 2002, winning 6 Tonys (along with 5 further nominations), including Best Musical, and Best Actress in a Musical for its star, a then-27-year-old Sutton Foster, catapulting her into Broadway-stardom.
The following year, it transferred across the pond starring Amanda Holden in the title role.

Set in the "roaring 20s'", the story follows Kansas girl Millie Dillmount. Having just moved to NYC, she decides to become a "modern" (cutting her hair into a bob, buying flapper dresses etc), and has only one aim - get a job, and then marry a rich man, ideally her boss. It's not exactly the strongest narrative, in fact, like Millie's dress, it's a bit of a flapper (har har). Thankfully though, it is still a lot of fun despite that.

Taking the reins of the title role is Strictly Come Dancing professional (and current champion) Joanne Clifton. When I heard the casting announcement, I thought it was a very interesting choice, as I wasn't sure how strong her singing voice is. Well, I must admit, I was pleasantly surprised, as it was a lot better than expected. She may not have been the strongest actress, but I forgive that because that's not where her training lies - and let me assure you the highlights of the show are definitely the dance numbers. Whether that be the big dance instrumental The Nuttycracker Suite, the insane tap in Forget About The Boy or the slower duet with Millie and Jimmy (played by a charming Sam Barrett) in I Turned The Corner.

Onto the rest of the cast that took my eye, firstly going back to the voice, if you wanted a strong voice, look no further Jenny Fitzpatrick's Muzzy (- so smooth!!!), Graham MacDuff's Trevor Grayden very nearly stole the entire show due to some hilarious "drunken" onstage mishaps (you had to have been there) and I also enjoyed Nick Len's adorable Ching Ho.

The one member of the cast that really stood out for me was Lucas Rush's evil Mrs Meers. Not traditionally a part performed in drag (similar to when I saw Craig Revel Horwood in Annie), he was absolutely fantastic in the part - hilarious and over-the-top, and sinister and creepy all at the same time. Mille and co may not agree with me, but I wish Mrs Meers was onstage a little bit longer....

The show has now ended its Manchester run, but if you want a fun night out, then it may be worth a check-out, so check if it is coming to a theatre near you soon.

Comments