I'm. Just. A. Broadway Baby!

So, I was very lucky to see a legend last night... The Broadway star Bernadette Peters is currently on her UK Tour, her first UK concert appearances in 17 years (!) - and her first ever concert in Manchester last night! HOW COULD I MISS HER - AND THAT HAIR!!!

Best known for her interpretation of Stephen Sondheim roles such as Gypsy's Mama Rose, Follies' Sally Durant Plummer, and (perhaps most famously) originating the role of The Witch in Into the Woods, Peters has won 3 Tonys amongst various other awards, and has become one of Broadway's biggest names. And let me tell you, I can see why.

For possibly the first time since I started this blog, I have suffered from writers block, because, in a way, I am just not sure what to say about Peters that hasn't been already said! Her stage presence is insane, her range is pretty incredible, and the variety of stuff she did (from making you nearly cry during her rendition of Send In The Clowns" from making a pomegranate sound sexy...

Like I said, she is best known for her Sondheim roles, so there were Sondheim songs a plenty; ranging from Move On, Children Will Listen and Losing My Mind to some unexpected ones including Johanna (possibly the highlight of the night for me, I have never seen that song performed like that before) and the classic Being Alive; I should make a note to anyone who doesn't know, that the last two I mentioned are also usually performed by a man, which adds an extra difficulty singing that.
But through all of that Sondheim, there were a few other gems - she is also a clear Rodgers and Hammerstein fan, celebrating that with When I Meet Mr Snow from Carousel, and an interesting arrangement of South Pacific's Nothing Like A Dame, both of which showing off her comedic chops.

I honestly do not know what else to put, other than to say I am so glad I got to see her! For someone who will be turning 70 in a couple of years (!), Peters certainly still HAS IT! And for anyone going to her final date in Edinburgh - enjoy!!!!

Comments